Change background image

Quit Smoking Using Champix

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Pure Yobbo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. underdog

underdog Well-Known Member

As long as you're still trying, mate. Whatever you do, you've got my support; trust me, it's worth it!

Mark Bridges likes this.
  2. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Thanks mate, yep still trying and really determined this time. Was very disappointed with myself the morning after I started again, so were my wife n kids and I really don't want to disappoint them again.

This time I will be stronger.

3. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yeah Sean (Seafgxr6) and Brian both lit up at Hopes, was disappointed for them both, but luckily I was out of reach of the fire extinguisher at the time, and in the middle of cooking tea.

Goes to show how these bloody things are so pumped up with chemicals to keep you addicted.

Good idea using the families disappointment to spur you on Brian, but really, you have to WANT to give up, for yourself mate.
    I remember how pleasant it was having a good cigar or pipe as I took those up around 19yo, after a couple of years of smoking Winnies.
    The ciggies just got a bit yuck to me, but the cigars / pipe baccies were nice.

Still the moment the missus got preggers that was enough for me to say enough at 21 years of age, thankfully was easy at the time.
    Maybe time for another addition to the family Brian ?? :eek: :D

4. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

New addition to the family?? Already got 2 4b's mate, dont need a 3rd, well until Luke gets his license anyway, lol.

Think I smoked more when the misses was prego, stressin me out even more, you know what their like - ice cream and gherkins ( vomit) for breakfast, that was crazy 9 mths thats for sure.

Im more determined than ever to stop this time mate, it will happen.

5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Bud

Don't be too hard on yourself, I've never smoked but understand there not called addictions for nothing, so you fail 10 times and the end goal is you finally beat it, your trying and to me that's a hell of a lot better than not trying at all... .. You'll get there mate

6. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Hi Wayneo,

Cheers for the encouragement mate.

Its strange,, even as I was putting that first ciggie in my mouth after the 15 days I was saying to myself this is so wrong but did it anyway.

1 of the voices in my head was saying do it do it, one of the other voices was saying don't don't. Most of the other voices were either laughing or calling me an idiot, didn't listen to the right voice this time round, lol but wont let it get the better of me this time.

Cheers mate.

7. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

June 2014 was the last entry to this thread

How is every one doing , still hanging in there and off the smokes I hope :D

I'm coming up for six years , still have issues as the result of the dhurries but thanks to the Champix I still have never had any sign of a craving for another.

Anyone else care to update for the encouragement of others [​IMG]

cheers

8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Still smoking unfortunately

Your going well Chris,,keep up the good work.

9. chris_stoffa

Thanks, give it another shot mate ......... and again and again if need be.

Anything to get rid of the damn things

10. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

I wanted to quit for ages, started smoking 30 years ago, tried a few times and failed miserably, last time I spoke to a doctor I asked him what I should do and how to give up and his response surprised me a little. He said just keep thinking about it and the right time will come and he was right.

I stopped with no drugs to help and just used gum and will power.

Once you are in the right head space it is easy. Just make the decision to stop and do it.

The power of the mind is stronger than the physical addiction.

Off them since last September and doing well, have even had a couple while at parties or out camping, sitting around the camp fire with a good scotch or red is the hardest but last 1 I had I didn't even enjoy it and felt crap after it. I will never go back to smoking and seeing my father in law sucking on his oxygen bottle makes me even more determine to stay of them.

11. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

My problem is I enjoy them too much, I know I wont enjoy what they'll bring later in life and also know I gotta quit, soon as I have a whiskey or coffee there the first thing I go for :(.

I understand its all about habit, and breaking it and it doesn't help that im a real creature of habit but I will get there sometime this year im hoping and kinda planning. 45 in August so that is when im aiming for.

12. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Good on you Matt, hope you stay off em.

13. nightscale

nightscale Active Member

Im coming up on 10 yrs since ive had a smoke

14. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

1 year behind me and exactly the same, I loved a dart with a coffee or drink or food or driving... mmm loved em all the time

I also said by this date or that birthday etc. but never did because I always said ah last pouch or after the next holiday...

The clincher for me was 3 weeks in Bali and paying $1.80 for a pouch of tobacco then come home and got charged $48.00:eek:
    The government can get stuffed I already pay enough tax so it was time for me to quit, finally made the tough decision that I was no longer a smoker. END OF STORY

Stick at it mate it is well worth the battle!!
    I already can walk up a tough track to check it out much easier and I want to be able to do that still in another 20 years

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  15. Frankensurf

Frankensurf Member

I'm still a non-smoker. For me, that was the turning point. Not saying "I used to smoke" or "I gave 'em up XX months ago", but instead saying to myself: "I don't smoke."

I can't remember exactly how many years it's been now. Less than 5, though. I still like the smell, but I'm not enticed by it. Because "I don't smoke" :)

16. chris_stoffa

I thought that too, at 25 & 35 and and 45 I was still thinking about it, I hope you do better than what i did.

Sounds silly but the hardest thing for me was despite having no actual cravings ( the Champix killed that within days ) was the tactile part of the addiction.

I had to have something in my hands, and when you think about it , the physical handling and tactile / touch of the cigarettes / packet / matches / lighter was a really big part of the addiction and its little associated habits

Its was insane how entrenched those associated habits were. :eek:

Luckily smart phones were about and I had to make sure that I always had a mobile phone to hold, handle, fiddle with.........., failing having the phone to play with it was a particular pencil that I carried everywhere.

I later broke that habit by changing to a much bigger Tab and an expensive pen :D.

I found out that its not just all about the nicotine

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  17. nightscale

nightscale Active Member

I personnaly reackon the hardest thing is breaking the habits. That and you really really want to stop smoking if you dont want to do it yourself youll never give up completely

18. chris_stoffa

You did well, 10 years , excellent effort [​IMG]

19. chris_stoffa

Hello, just thought i might do an update on this thread and my status.

Last entry was April 17 2015 and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.
    A marriage seperation and property settlement will certainly slow up any 4wding, so much so that, i dont own a 4wd anymore (Hyundai Tuscon -One with the Lot), dont own any camping gear and Ive even had to sign my firearms over to my three boys to sort out the property settlement and placate the inanity of the Ex. (Somethings are just simply inexcusable :mad: )
    Oddly, don't really miss 4wding and if i do want to head out and 4wd Im sure that my son will let me have a play in his turbo twin locked rock and roll Troll.
    Am in new relationship ( which incidently had nothing to do with the marriage breakup) and a little change in my health status.
    In the interim a Brain aneurysm repair operation in Feb 17, a knee repair operation in August 17 kept me busy I was then rediagnosed with Throat Cancer in October, now have a tracheostomy and am currently under going pallative Chemo and Radiation treatment. Which in simple doctor terms means its terminal, how long ? String ......?
    Oddly despite all the dire warnings of Chemo and Rad treatment I have suffered very little if any side effects even though I'm weeks into th treatment
    So forgive me I haven't contributed to the forum for a while, I have been a little preoccupied.
    In hindsight , I'm happier than i have been in a long time, I'm no longer in a toxic resistive relationship but a warm caring one with a very special lady.
    Financially separations tend to damage the coffers somewhat but that is inconsequential given the diagnosis and will be in the final audit of life. I intend to enjoy what time i have left travelling . India is on the agenda for March 18.

So even though I wont be dropping in here much, happy 4wding to all, enjoy life:) ............... and need i say Don't Smoke !

itlldoo, 03hilux, GaryM and 4 others like this.
  20. monk2

monk2 Member

shit chris thats a lot to take on board mate and not so good news I still not smoking since giving up not as much has happened since 8 back operations, the 7 one I got a infection something called gas gangreen took 2 years to get over that but still here mate you hang in there who knows whats around the corner in fixes for things they always coming up with something new cheers