Change background image

"Punisher 2.0" - 2016 Hilux Build [MT.DISSA TRIP REPORT]

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by TUFF IFS LUX, Aug 18, 2016.

1. TUFF IFS LUX

TUFF IFS LUX Active Member

Hi Everyone.

Some may know me, some might not, but this thread is to showcase the new build of my 2016 2.8D SR Hilux Dual Cab, effectively known as "Punisher 2.0".

For those that didnt follow my previous build, "Punisher 1.0" was a 2007 Hilux diesel auto, with twin transfercases, twin airlockers, 4.5 regeared diffs, Monster Rides Suspension set at 2", 1" bodylift and 315/70x17 Muddies that performed flawlessly. Now to the new build.

The Vehicle
    The new build will focus around the 2016 Hilux 2,8D Auto Dual Cab pickup. It will be Dark Grey Mettalic (1G3) as detailed below:

[​IMG]

And then, thats where everything changes.................................

The Build

I am collecting the vehicle within the week from the dealership. The dealer will be installing for me the factory Snorkel and is shipping the vehicle next door to Opposite Lock to have a front E-Locker fitted.

Why did I choose the E-locker? Basically, after spending wasted dollars bad installation, leaky air seals and dodgy solenoids when you needed them most (half way up a steep track), Ive gotten over the Air Locker......but seeing the new UNEEK4x4 CapLocker.....would have gone that way if the comp spec version was already available for my vehicle.

Mods

I have already purchased an AFN front mesh grille for her, it looks like the nicest mesh grille on the market at the moment:
    [​IMG]
    to christen her, I have also purchased a black powder coated Punisher Metal Logo which I will be fittinig to the center of the grille:
    [​IMG]

I have also acquired front headlight surrounds to add to the meaner front profile:
    [​IMG]
    And rear tail light surrounds. I will be smoking the red part of the tail lights and leaving the reverse lights clear.

The front bar will be a Monster Rides Axis Bar that will be Hoopless in design as below:
    [​IMG]

And also Monster Rides Axis Rock Sliders as below, but instead of the dimple plate I will have a solid steel plate running across which I will fit grip tape to. Will be more practical for the kiddies:
    [​IMG]

At the moment I am leaning towards an MCC Jack rear Bar/Towbar as I havent seen nothing else that appeals to me and should last me a while until Im ready for a custom rear bar setup and a rear quarter tub chop again:

[​IMG]

Suspension

Suspension will be Monster Rides Rekon. I have never had an issue running them on my previous hilux and they performed flawlessly in all conditions. The will be fitted with progressive springs, and ride height will be set to 60mm above standard on the front.

Upper Control Arms will be the new PSR Ball jointed arms that have just been released. Props on Chris Jones for making an awesome product -
    [​IMG]

Phat Bars diff drop and Bashplate will be fitted to reprieve CV angles, and make the front dirvetrain a little more reliable. Their new design braces the drivers side mounting points from the front to the rear cross member to reduce any potential torque twisitng in low range:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the rear end, I will be leaving the standard leaf springs for now, fit Monster Rides long travel shocks and an extended shackle for an addition 1.5" lift.....should I require more load carrying capacity, I will simply get the leaves reset to enable the load leaf to come into effect a little sooner, but still provide the soft ride when empty.

Wheels and Tyres

I am stuck between two wheels.....
    (a) Kings D-Locker or D-Hole wheels which only come in a 17x8 P0 offset.
    [​IMG]
    or
    (b) a Traditional styled Sunraysia wheel in balck which I can get in the 17x8 P10 offset I really want.

Why do I want a P10 offset? Because I want to run a 305/65x17 tyre and fittinig this tyre on a P10 will give me the same scrub radius as a 285/70x17 tyre fitted to a P0 offset wheel.......and as much as I like the look of the Kings wheels....I have always been more a function over form type of person.

I am getting ProComp Extreme Allterrains in 305/65x17 which equates to 32.6x12x17 in size:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to cover those meats Ill need some colour coded flares, still deciding between a smooth and slightly smaller styled:

[​IMG]

or a larger Jungle Fender Flare styled:

[​IMG]

Thats basically it for now.......Im wanting to set her up for some decent offroading as always and camping with the kids. A luggage rack with a cargo bag mounted slightly above the tub on a custom rack setup with recovery tracks and tools fitted either side is on the cards, until I get a RTT to fit there, then the rack will get mounted on the roof.

This is my inspiration below......something to aim towards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh! And reduction gearing is not out of the question either in the long term plans.[/B]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Looks like its going to be a tough truck!

80lover96gxl and TUFF IFS LUX like this.
  3. TUFF IFS LUX

The day has finally arrived where I have picked up my long awaited for Hilux -

Does the rego give away the motor thats in it? 1JZ......yeah, I wish :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see I optioned the genuine snorkel to get fitted by the dealership prior to collection -

[​IMG]

And the installation of a front E-Locker to match the rear factory locker already fitted -

[​IMG]

When I got home, I started some little customisations, just to get myself in the mood. I ordered some rear tail-light covers from Thailand and fitted em on. These are double sided taped, just for a slightly different "look" to whats out there -

[​IMG]

I then fitted front headlight covers and also the AFN mesh grille I bought. As mentioned previously there is a small gap on top of the grille, but I will be fitting a tinted bonet protector this week which will both fill this gap and cover up the chrome garnish on the front of the hood -

[​IMG]

After finding out I could customise the start-up screen image, I went ahead and added this little beauty to it :twisted:

[​IMG]

I then began on the practical stuff. I had a set of previous N70 towbar brackets and wanted to see how they fitted compared to the shape of the N80 tub at the rear. The chassis between the current and previous are very similar, and I dont need to tow 3 tonne so wont require the larger genuine towbar that hangs much lower.

So i removed the rear bumper and with some bolts fitted the brackets to test the profile -

[​IMG]

It is close to the metal but it does clear......

The following image shows how nice tucked up she sits, easily provided more departure angle than the genuine towbar made for this model -

[​IMG]

Compared to a genuine towbar, theres about 4" more clearance gained -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That'll work and will keep me happy until I get around to quarter chopping the lower portion, at which point Ill get some custom side brackets to raise the towbar higher.

And these beauties arrived on Friday afternoon - PSR's new fully adjustable Upper Control Arms....Man, these things are BEEFY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That it for now.....happy she's here.....watch this space for future updates :cool:

jimdapom, Georgie Kyro, Towie and 5 others like this.
  4. TUFF IFS LUX

Heres an interesting post comparison care off Allpro Offroad in the USA. It shows the current 8.8" rear hilux diff gears (to the right hand side) compared to the previous generations 8" ring gears and bearings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the to do list in the future at some stage. would be an awesome matchup to the 6 speed auto.

Swaggie likes this.
  5. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

This thing is going to be sweet. Looking forward to seeing how it all progresses

Aaron

Towie, Spooner and TUFF IFS LUX like this.
  6. TUFF IFS LUX

So this weekends job was to fit the N70 towbar to my hilux and to show you all just how nicely it fits against the bottom of the tub that my little test fit with the brackets showed last week.

Pic below is the Monster Rides towbar brackets sitting on top of the standard genuine Toyota N70 towbar brackets for reference. The MR ones lift the crossbar exactly 25mm higher.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the towbar sit perfectly with about 1-2mm clearance against the tub when its all bolted in place.

[​IMG]

Obviously you will need to remove the factory rear bumper if your going to do this, but it gives a good couple inches more departure angle/clearance than the stock N80 bar.

[​IMG]
    Im thinking of doing a small quarter chop in the future at some stage, not a full high quarter chop like I did on my N70, but only 2 to 3 inches to expose the side of that towbar properly so I can get fabbed up some side tubes to protect the tub going round and forwards. I havent come across a rear bar I fully like yet, to suit the rear tubs, thou the new Xrox rear bar comes close, but it doesnt tie back into the chassis at the front...nothing that cant be modded i guess ;)

[​IMG]

A small chop will also allow me to retain half the bracket behid the mudflap which keep the rear end fender sides fixed in position for support. if you stick your head underneath, you'll see that bracket Im talking bout. it has 2 bolts and if you cut the bottom half off, you can still retain the top half of it.

The end of that exhaust is going to need a trim where it dips down in the future.

And the view from underneath showing how it fits into the holes in the chassis rail the same as previous model hilux.

[​IMG]

Also got donated a couple extra tie down latches, making it 8 x in total, so I fitted them to the inside of the tub to make it more practical - no thanks Mr Toyota.

4 on the front end.

[​IMG]

4 on the rear end.

[​IMG]

All going well, should be receiving a delivery at some point this week to start the next phase of her development. :cool:

Aaron Schubert and Albynsw like this.
  7. TUFF IFS LUX

So Ozzy Tyres had a sale on yesterday that I jumped on as soon as the link was brought to my attention.

TOYO 295/70R17 121/118P OPEN COUNTRY M/T

Retail for $421 each, on Sales for $303 each, and with a further discount code provided, ended up scoring 5 of em for $267 each ! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Link here - http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/tyres/toyo-295-70r17-121-118p-open-country-m-t.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will be going on a set of Black Sunraysias 17x8 P10.

I have also made some headway in the background, studying the Hilux's wiring diagrams and working out how to "hack" the CAN signal system in order to wire in a variable speedo ratio box. Been told its not possible, but am certain im going to change that.

I am discussing my findings with 2 other people in different related fields and waiting for them to confirm my findings before I wire in a variable signal box. I wont be ready to install that for another couple weeks anyway, so am not in a rush.

8. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

That is a ridiculous price for those tyres, funny thing though I checked the same tyre in the more common 16 inch sizes and they were a lot dearer so you did well

Towie likes this.
  9. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Good price but I would check the age of the tyres just in case.

Just a word of warning I was bitten once in the late 90's bought 5 Bridgestone 33" muddies for $200 each on sale from Bridgestone, after approx. 2yrs I got a couple of punctures on a 3 week trip tyres were wrecked and after inspecting the rest of the tyres found all of them had multiple strands of wire sticking out of them. Came home with 2 new 31" on front because that's all I could by in a country town and my dodgy old bridgestones 33" on rear. Found out they were quite old and probably should have been scrapped and not sold to the public or at least warned about their age.

TUFF IFS LUX likes this.
  10. Towie

Towie Moderator

I'm liking what I'm seeing here

TUFF IFS LUX likes this.
  11. TUFF IFS LUX

My rubber babies rocked up yesterday :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look nice and chunky!

[​IMG]

12. Georgie Kyro

Georgie Kyro Well-Known Member

Max the rigs starting to take some serious shape.
    I have no doubt this thing will be just as good off road as the other one.

Will you be doing something in the way of crawlers/reduction gears for her?

Do the new hiluxes have a chain driven transfer or are they now gears like the triton?

13. TUFF IFS LUX

Thanks George.

Regarding low range gearing.....i am planning on fitting 4.8 diff gears in the future. Because the new hiluxs are geared way too tall in my opinion.

6th gear in the auto only comes on if your doing atleast 100kays, on a flat surface with no headwind....and even then it'll struggle to hold the gear. Really pointless and a major design flaw in my opinion. You have to be travelling at 115kph or more for it to hold the gear driving up an incline on the highway.

Using an online gearing calculator, i worked out on the 33.5" tyres, 4.8 gears will allow me to shift into 6th gear at 89kph....thus at 100kph or so she would hold it strongly.

Better fuel economy, better performance and 10% better low range crawl ratio than standard.

Also, the new hiluxs use pretty much the same chain drive transfercases as before except we now have a solenoid hanging off the back of it controlled via a switch on the dash.

At this point in time, i beleive fitting 4.8 diff gears will suffice in what i plan to do with her, but i do have up my sleeve a new product to be released by end of next year aimed at toyota chain case owners, that i will be able to fall back on should i choose to.

Cheers.

14. TUFF IFS LUX

Latest addition to the Punisher - would like to thank Rhino Rack Australia for using my vehicle for some R&D fitment/product trials on their forthcoming series of Pioneer Racks to suit the N80 Hilux.

These are not available yet, but here's some images below of the install and fitment.

[​IMG]

Their "Backbone" mounting system,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing some sums, If i stick with 2" lift maximum and the 295 tyres, i should squeeze into my garage with 10mm to spare

I also have some LED light bar brackets and will be fitting a 40" double row LED lightbar on, just underneath the front of the rack.

These also arrived - 70mm extended shackles for the N80 Hilux. Fitted to a set of standard rear leaves, they will provide 25 to 30mm of additional lift. perfect for me, because I am not after anything more than that.

[​IMG]

I hope to be selling these in the near future.....along with other items in due course N80 specific.

15. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

That roof rack looks very tidy. Strong, functional and good looking. What actually attaches it to the roof of the vehicle though?

This build is coming along very nicely; you are going to have one heck of a 4WD!

Aaron

16. TUFF IFS LUX

Thankyou for your compliment Aaron.

The roof rack has 2 mounts per side. Each mount is fitted inside the gutter/roof channel and the backbone is bolted ontop of this.then the rack to the backbone.

17. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

By the looks of the pic though, the mounts are riveted on? I assume they've done the calculations and they are strong enough? The rest of the rack looks amazing, but to me the weakest point is always going to be those rivets

Aaron

18. TUFF IFS LUX

I dont plan on carrying to much weight/load ontop of there so shouldnt be an issue for me. More for convenience.

Planning on a cargo bag to sit on there when needed....to carry bulky and light items such as clothing, pillows, linen etc

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  19. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

All good. I reckon they've done their homework. I found out the other day you can get rated tek screws. Who'd have thought!

Aaron

20. TUFF IFS LUX

Rated tech screws - now we'll see recovery hooks mounted everywhere ...LOL

smitty_r51 and Aaron Schubert like this.