Change background image

Police in Mansfield defecting 4WDs

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Patriot, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patriot

Patriot Super Moderator

Saw this on Facebook - what are your experiences with it?
    I find the road worthy laws difficult to understand and different across states.
    It is depressing to see people having this kind of experience when we are trying to go out and support local tourism.
    I understand that the Police have a job to do, and it is important to ensure there are safe vehicles on the road - what have you seen / experienced?

mansfield defect.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    underdog, abw and komaterpillar like this.
  2. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Is it any different to them pulling over the doof doof or ricey crowd?

IvanTheTerrible, vk1dx and Gavo like this.
  3. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Be plenty for them to defect over there, everything is modified.

National laws would be nice e.g. my roof light bar is legal in SA but not in any (or many) other states.

Mark167 likes this.
  4. nightscale

nightscale Active Member

And if you drive outside sa with it your liable to get defected for it. Sucks and yes we are well over due for a national set of roadrules and also for car mods. Kinda backwards having the adr's then each state make there own version of it

5. Mark167

Mark167 New Member

Its a real shame that if you do one modification to your car it restricts you from driving through or to another state. Fully agree with the idea of national rules.

6. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

I can't quite see in the photo, but is his rear Mud Flaps missing or low enough? (That's all States)

7. Wang

Wang Well-Known Member

Or it could be the fire breathing big block v8 under the hood:)

abw likes this.
  8. Hewy54

Hewy54 Active Member

Shame we do not have national rules.
    This may be a good place to post any problems that people have encountered.
    For example I have heard that it is illegal to mount an antenna on you bull bar. Not sure if this is correct.

9. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Fair chance the patrol had 35s and 4-6 inch lift, illegal in all states so fair enough but agreed a country wide set of laws would be great
    Mansfield police are known for being hard on out of spec mods every long weekend, have driven st8 past them a few times so its not every 4by

Gavo and Albynsw like this.
  10. ChallengeLee

ChallengeLee Moderator

Apparently Qld Transport were set up at both entries on Bribie Island this morning, many 4wdrivers had to make alternative plans to spend their Australia Day. Is a shame when they are not always consistant with their rulings on defects.

komaterpillar likes this.
  11. vk1dx

vk1dx Well-Known Member

And people wonder why we bothered paying $2K to get the GVM upgraded and the rego updated to show the new five seat status (was seven).

I don't have any worries with them.

Phil

phs and Albynsw like this.
  12. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yeah I can't help but think if you do right thing, and make an attempt not to stand out, you will never have a problem.

Toddyh, DaveTrees, Mitchmate and 4 others like this.
  13. Isitslippery

Isitslippery Member

Can't see a lot but its looks like the 4x4era (now) cop bait.
    Over lift?
    Over tyred?
    Light bar on top of bar?
    Mudflaps?
    Offset?
    Etc?
    Etc?

Stick within the rules as best you can understand them & you should be fine.
    If you have 1 honest mistake you might be lucky with a warning?
    But full kit & ignorance doesn't wash with traffic cops.

14. vk1dx

vk1dx Well-Known Member

Once upon a time we drove a highly modified Kingswood HK with a distinctive paint job. Especially for the 80's to 90's. Got pulled over heaps of times. Yet without the paint job we never got stopped. All good though. The mechanic was Doug Chives of Holden Team dealer fame at Sefton in Sydney. He refused to work on the car unless it was legal.

Phil

15. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

I got pulled over a few times in my old Holdens or Fords, coppers saying they just wanted to have to look, as in check it out because they liked the vehicle !
    Was a bit put out the few times that this happened, I mean pulling someone over (hey, I just might be on my way somewhere) just to check it out ?
    But better for a bit of an admiring look rather than them going through it to 'find' something to defect.

Thug likes this.
  16. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

I got stopped at a breatho station in swan hill vic and asked what boost i was running in my 105 cruiser, told him 15 psi, he replied , nice, smiled and said move along.

Wasn't concerned with the 3" lift, the roof mounted light bars, the sound of the turbo whislting thru the straight thru exhaust, figured he must have been a 4wd enthusiast himself.

Agree, nation wide rules need to be implemented.

Thug, phs and ChallengeLee like this.
  17. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Have a look at yhe pic. Not 35s or 6 inch lift. Just an opportunity to try and pull someone with individuality into line with the mainstream. And raise some needed cash.

18. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Go and find someone doing something bad you anti life fun killers.

To protect and to serve?

No. To berate, humiliate and prosecute!

Towie, GUnka and 80lover96gxl like this.
  19. phs

phs Well-Known Member

It's a hard call frosty, guessing what he got defected for, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing as I don't know the details

But I do know there are a few that give all of us a bad name.

Albynsw likes this.
  20. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Up this way,,,, they will bash you untill your proven guilty

And the worst thing. MOST cops nowadays just look down on you. You feel guilty just by seeing a police car.

As a 45 year ol bussiness owner and general citizen, lm more worried about cops than I was at 20 year old.

Towie and phs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.