Change background image

PK Ranger 4WD selection problem / resolution

Discussion in 'PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50' started by Les PK Ranger, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Robert Kinsey

Robert Kinsey New Member

G'day Ian,

Have a look at Rockauto.com for replacement Ford Ranger (and many other makes and models) parts. The replacement Transfercase motor will set you back about $180.00 AUD (including shipping - Economy 3 to 11 days)

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,1443918,drivetrain,transfer+case+motor,10323

I quite often save myself half the money I would normally spend on parts from suppliers here in Australia from these guys. I have purchased quite a few things for my Explorer and if you can wait the two weeks for delivery then all the better.

Cheers,

Rob

muc the truck likes this.
  2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Think you will find thats the US ranger which is not at all the same as the ranger in the rest of the world. Explorer on the other hand it makes perfect sense.

3. Robert Kinsey

Robert Kinsey New Member

G'day Mac_Man,

The transfercase motor will be the same part. Yes you have to watch what parts you order. Especially with a right hand drive vehicle.

Cheers,

ROb

4. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if they were at all similar, different motors, different gearbox

5. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

Now Ime not 100% sure , but all the shift motors for older borgwarner t/cases appear the same . The movement between 2hi and 4lo is 270 degrees , the operations are all the same . My Chinese car has the same part number as a older ford Lincoln 4wd. To me just looking at them the only difference is the plug and some have a speed sensor and some don't.
    Then there is this, and you can bypass all the electrics
    https://www.f150forum.com/f6/electric-manual-transfer-case-conversion-74750/
    I've been in touch with the supplier about fitting one to mine, just got to crawl under the car in the mud?!

6. Actuator

Actuator New Member

Hey Robert,
    Thanks for info mate.Had a quick look at rockauto they had a couple there but plugs were different.Had a fellow member got me a new one for a reasonable price.I fitted it on Friday and all is well so far.Down the track i will order another and have as a spare as i have no confidence in these things if i wanna go to fraser for 2 weeks.Thanks again for reply Robert .......good site this one. Cheers Ian

Robert Kinsey likes this.
  7. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

I thick you could modify that to work with a motorbike throttle cable in the cab and a push bike brake cable to operate the lock pin

8. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

Just cut a hole in the floor to put your hand through.

9. Robert Kinsey

Robert Kinsey New Member

G'day Ian,

Glad you got it sorted mate. I ordered one for my 1998 Explorer and they sent me one for a 97. Good thing I now drive the 97 and not the 98. The 98 model does have speed and wheel slip sensors with a different wiring harness to the 97. My point is yes you have to watch what you get from them but You can generally build one good working part from two if need be. I wouldnt pay $1200.00 for a shift motor though.

Cheers,

Rob