Change background image

Performance modules

Discussion in '4x4 Tech Talk' started by MagicalG, Mar 10, 2013.

1. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

they are variable tuneable . all they do is make full throttle come in at much less than full range . You can set them on some cars so you only use 1/3 of the accelerator pedal and any further pushing of the accelerator pedal it does nothing . How long does it take some one to push the pedal to the floor then compare that to how long it takes some one to push the pedal to the 1/3 mark and that's all the difference screeching off at the traffic lights.

2. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

If that's how they work then I would assume a throttle controller will increase fuel consumption? Tricking the computer into thinking the foot is mashed to the floor in 0.3 sec surely will send a heap of fuel into the motor thats not really needed.

3. hiluxdriver

Apologies. I got the impression you had some experience with these given your response.

4. 03GV

03GV Member

I fitted a throttle controller 4 months ago and have got back the fuel economy I lost when I fitted my bullbar. The best thing on my car with it is at the end of my street I have a giveway sign that we all have to stop at and its a hill start onto a busy road and my 1.9 litre renault motor would completely bog down when taking off 7 out of 10 times since installing it I've never had it happen.

5. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I do, just not enough to comment on the specific businesses. The comments reflect this.

Aaron

6. hiluxdriver

You said you hadn't looked into it enough, now you say you don't have enough experience. Do you know anything about it or are you just reciting a magazine article? If you do know something are you going to share it because I have an interest in this too. I was going to buy a DP chip second hand but the current owner said benefits were minimal and an he would have done an ECU tune if he had the choice again. So I guess I'm looking for more first hand experience with either so I can make a better decision.

komaterpillar likes this.
  7. Thug

Thug Active Member

Not sure about your opinion on this Mac....we recently had the throttle controller fitted and when you put the foot down it takes off instantly! before there was a very noticeable delayed lag...it was so quick the missus had to back off the settings so she could get used to it. Con job? we noticed a huge difference, both of us cannot be wrong?

Albynsw likes this.
  8. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to have an opinion on these devices without actually having even tried one

Thug likes this.
  9. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I can't offer you first hand experience. However, I have done enough reading and speaking to various people from a whole range of sources to suggest that people enter into the remap and chipping side of things carefully. The range of quality in products varies hugely, and a lot of smaller businesses are not doing what they should be.

Keen to find out what you decide on though.

Aaron

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Thug likes this.