Change background image

Pathfinder - petrol to diesel

Discussion in 'Motors' started by D21fan, Jul 15, 2017.

1. D21fan

D21fan New Member

Hi, I have a '91 D21 pathfinder, I'm considering fitting a diesel engine.
    The D21 Terrano comes with the TD27.
    I'll be using standard D21 engine mounts etc etc. I'm in QLD. I will have a doner D21 Terrano.
    Also, I have a FS5R30a g/box from a Terrano 11, to replace the w71

Apart from the technical aspects, and considering this is an optional engine for the D21, what hoops do I have to jump thru to do this?

Thanks

2. D21fan

D21fan New Member

anyone ?

3. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

I can't help sorry but I am keen to know how you get on with this conversion. Keep us posted ay?

4. deepop

deepop 4x4 Earth Contributer

Sorry mate. I had the D21 for years and thought about it but never did it. Get on to the PCOA forum. Plenty of info there.

5. D21fan

D21fan New Member

ok.
    What about generally? I often read about guys putting a diesel engine into a petrol wagon?

6. Michael Baker

Michael Baker Member

Hey Mate,
    Some things to think about Dash cluster/ Tacho/ Gauges, wiring harness/Ecu, fuel lines.
    Cheers

7. D21fan

D21fan New Member

Thanks Michael, but I'm asking more like certifying, rego, keeping it legal stuff.
    I would be modifying a Pathfinder (diesel/turbo), but making it into a standard Terrano.

8. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the work but I would be giving the cost a bit of thought and whether it is worth throwing that sort of money at it before I got too far down the track. The certification and getting it on the road will probably cost you the best part of a grand and you may also find some of the insurers a bit shy to cover it

9. D21fan

D21fan New Member

Thanks for the replies, not really after any advise on the technical side of it.
    I would like to hear from anyone who as transplanted a Diesel into a petrol vehicle...not the work side, but how they got on with cert, Queensland Transport and insurance.

Cheers

10. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Have you rung Queensland Transport and asked ?