Change background image

Need my cherry popped

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by ncmranger, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ncmranger

ncmranger New Member

Hi all, just purchased my first 4x4 ford ranger 2010, unfortunately no mods (just dropped 20k need to get that bank back up!) I want to head off road but my dilemma is no else has a 4x4 that I know! And I’m just itching to hit dirt! Any advice on easy tracks possibly with a picnic area so I can’t take my partner and we can start to explore. Any extra info will be appreciated!

Location west of Melbourne

Spooner likes this.
  2. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Earth, hang around here for a bit and look up some Ranger threads and you will learn heaps.
    Don't worry about mods yet as that can be a very long and expensive road. Maybe get a hand held UHF radio and some all terrain tyres.
    Heaps of dirt road touring to some fantastic spots all over the country that a standard car can do so get out there and enjoy

abw and Bomber2012 like this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Welcome mate.
    Where are you located?
    Cheers Rick

4. ncmranger

ncmranger New Member

I’m looking at either otways or wombate state. I have a good set of all terrain but I’ll pick up a uhf thanks for the advice!

5. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Active Member

welcome to earth, keep an eye on the trip section, there's the annual VIC. meeting coming up at o'tooles ( 17th,18th,19th )- will be plenty of 4x4 trips and plenty of people to help you out

6. ncmranger

ncmranger New Member

Bacchus Marsh is where I’m located

Spooner likes this.
  7. Spooner

Your not far away from us , I know plenty of easy routes around Wombat , Blackwood etc. if your just starting out and want to explore , let me know .
    It can be a trap for the unwary if you take the wrong turn though ;) But just use common sense , If in doubt , back out :)
    Plenty to see and enjoy around your local area.
    Get yourself some maps . They are only around $10 each and worth every cent.
    These 2 for starters ,
    Wombat 1.jpeg

Wombat 2.jpeg

8. Spooner

There are some great tracks around Wombat that you would need to be well set up to complete , but plenty of easy ones to learn and explore with no stress :)
    Wombat1b.jpg

ncmranger likes this.
  9. ncmranger

ncmranger New Member

I was planning on going this Saturday. That’s what Im nervous about is getting myself into trouble and not knowing what do lol! I’ve been searching for books but I’m unable to find them besides online.
    Great pic!

Spooner likes this.
  10. Spooner

Just go and have a look sticking to the main dirt track roads. Take the road north just out of Baccus that leads you into Lerdederg and follow it through .
    Easy and beautiful scenery

11. Spooner

Follow this.
    Just out of town on Gisbourne Rd , turn left onto Lerderderg Gorge rd , then right onto Camerons Rd and follow , left onto Seereys Track that joins into Bluegum Track and follow to the end , turn left at Obriens rd and follow it all the way to the end .
    Then Turn left and head home on the Trentham rd.
    A nice easy no stress loop for you that you can do in 2wd and have a look around :)

ncmranger likes this.
  12. ncmranger

ncmranger New Member

Thankyou! I’ll let you know how I go!

13. RBJET

RBJET Active Member

Just be careful turning onto any tracks you're unsure of in Wombat by yourself.
    I was out there on Monday and some sections were pretty rough.
    If you stick to the main roads you'll have no issues though.

14. Buxter

Buxter Well-Known Member

You will need to go out with some sensible ppl, and not take any notice of what you see onTV.
    If you have any sensible mates with 4B's ask them to do some easy tracks first.
    Don't want to go out with some Muppet that doesn't care if you wreck your 4B.
    The run into O'Toole's flat is an easy first track, but maybe a bit too far. Problem every man and his dog will be there
    Cheers
    Buxter

15. ncmranger

ncmranger New Member

None of my mates are interested in anything off road. I’ll check out o Tooles track