Change background image

MU-X 2013 -> Technical Info

Discussion in 'MU' started by Jad308, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Could be worth it. I had a Casio triple sensor watch that lasted 20 years of at times rough use.

2. Jad308

Jad308 Member

ISUZU will send you a letter with your VIN and unique password to access the Owners Survey section of the ISUZU Ute website. According to my dealer they do mail outs around the 8th of each month to new buyers. I got mine yesterday and took delivery back in early May.

3. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Oh welcome normn & chad_MUX.. Nice to see more MU-X owners finding the forum. If you guys stumble across or research anything interesting MU-X related please post in here so I can update the leading posts for people to find easily.

4. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Especially when its free. Filling out the survey is pretty straightforward and not very time consuming.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well I went to the Explore Australia Expo with MUX bling in mind and very interesting it was. Bull bars, suspension and fuel and other storage were my foci. Here's a mix of items for the rumour column and for the pain column.

The general word about steel bull bars is that given the legalities all the designs are similar. No one is talking about strength ratings. Given air bag compatibility they are all designed to crumple at a controlled rate.

Bars
    ECB have no plans to do a steel one. The alloy Arc bar (winch and non winch) do not have jack lift points. They weigh about 50kg and are a bumper-cut unit. Prices above.

Dobinson steel bars - c. 80kg. Unclear whether a cut is needed.
    $1100 for basic; $1300 for basic deluxe (just includes fog lights); $1500 for stainless loop model (not as strong as the other two).

Ironman steel bar
    Basic is $1455 fitted; Deluxe commercial is $1735 fitted (show discount was 15% off these)

TJM winch-mount bull bars
    Steel, painted I think $1843 with free Treds til the end of the month (see current catalogue for RG Colorado price)
    Alloy $2365 with free snorkel til the end of the month

Rear bar/carrier assembly by Kaymar - they expect to have one out by the end of the year. With all the fruit salad and fitting there may not be much change from $3,500

Fuel tanks
    Brown Davis will bring out a long range tank but it too will displace the spare.

FLEXITANK do diesel (and water) bladders to fit in the passenger foot well or hang off a cargo barrier. The former come in 35, 55 and 75 l sizes. The 55 is $700 inc drain hose and primer; a 12v pump will be released for it soon. The website is not very helpful (4x4 Diesel Flexitanks | 4WD Diesel Flexitanks | SUV Diesel Flexitanks | Diesel Bladders) so I've included a scan of today's flyer.

Suspension
    Dobinson's shocks are made somewhere in Europe! TJM shocks have a 3 year warranty that will be honoured at any of their stores Australia wide.

Note: all of the above comes from salesperson knowledge and my notes and memory. You have been warned :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Lotsa things to update. Thanks for all the research Ziggy. I've got to wait until early Nov here in Perth for the 4wd & Adventure show, hopefully I'll have gotten the missus used to the idea that I might need to make some large purchases on show day to take advantage of specials.

7. chad_MUX

chad_MUX New Member

thanks Jad!

yeah had my Mu-x for 4 months now and it has been great!

8. Ironman 4x4

Ironman 4x4 Active Member

Don't forget we (Ironman 4x4) also do suspension for the MU-X. pricing I believe has already been quoted earlier in the thread.

Also by strength ratings for the bull bars what exactly are you referring to? I'd be happy to try and follow this up with our product manager.

Cheers,

Matt
    Ironman 4x4
    (would have loved to chat with everyone at the show but unfortunately have come down with gastro - I'll do my best to answer any questions online still!)

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, I chatted with a blond guy on the Ironman stand whose tricked out DMax was on display. Was interesting to see all the goodies in the flesh.

By strength I mean a set of ratings that would allow the punter to distinguish between bars and more especially between alloy and steel bars. I know what the common view is on that. Obviously the point of a bull bar is primarily to protect the vehicle from animal impact and if I was going touring often in cattle country I'd want the strongest as against something just to make other drivers in the city think twice about cutting in front of me ;) Clearly it's possible to do testing - see the Smartbar videos.

Good luck with your gastro!

Jad, a question for you. In post 1 you say the alternator is standard. By that I assume it's not variable voltage that makes charging a 2nd battery impossible without electrickery. Have you tested this? An exhibitor yesterday reckoned that all vehicles sold here have to have a variable voltage unit and this has been the case for a while - this was a senior guy from Cub.

10. Jad308

Jad308 Member

It was a query I shot through to ISUZU while researching dual battery setups and that was their response. Its possible by standard they mean variable voltage. I think I need to send another email through and be more specific about the info I'm chasing.

Edit: I'll amend my 1st post info as well as on re reading it says PCM not ECU.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks Jad.

VV saves a few grams of CO2.

Easiest way out looks to be the Piranha AOC which looks like a diode in a spade fuse. A bit of electrical load keeps the alternator putting out higher voltage. Pajero owners found a way out was to simply run the ventilation fan on low.

Mr Cub said that many car sellers were themselves unaware of the change.

12. Jad308

Jad308 Member

After some more digging the current gen 2013/2014 D-Max utes definitely don't have a computer controlled alternator, I can't imagine that that the MU-X would be different. I'll still shoot of another query to IUA though I think.

13. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Cheers Ziggy, will keep this in mind if it turns out that the MU-X does have a VV Alternator.

14. Dogsbreakfast

Dogsbreakfast Member

Saw the bloke from piranha on 4wdtv saying the dmax alternator is one that comes with it as standard for higher output.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.

Jad, you could pick up a tester for a few bucks and see what it does when you drive. I understand it will fluctuate between about 12 and 13.5 v if the MU-X has the VV control.

Attached Files:

16. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Not a bad idea Ziggy. I've got a multimeter so I might bodge something up and see what figures I get. I've sent another info request through to ISUZU so we'll see if testing matches their response :)

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for chasing this up.

With our aux batteries we may still need a 12v to 12v charger if the alternator max is in the 13s.

Just as an aside it seems that when bull bar makers do a colour-matched job for you they send the unit out for an epoxy paint job and the cost is around $400.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

19. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Quick test at idle showed an average of 14.17v via the cigarette lighter socket.

20. normn

normn Member

Will do but having the new MU-X there is more questions than answers
    On Tuesday the car will have it's first service (3000Km), is there anything specific I should ask them to do?:D