Change background image

MU-X 2013 -> Technical Info

Discussion in 'MU' started by Jad308, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

+1 on the tyre swap.
    In fact I got a wheel swap with the LS-M. 16" tyres are cheaper and there's a wider range. Eg. in Geolandar AT/S, 16" is about $150 cheaper than a 17" on RRP.

2. Jad308

Jad308 Member

I stuck with Bridgestone as I got a credit on the changeover, still was an additional cost mind. Nice that the dealer did the swap for you. The Dueller A/Ts on the LS-M are they D697s or the older D694 tyres?

If I thought it was possible at the time I would done the same thing. The 17" wheels are an odd duck to find tyres to suit.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Just to be clear Jad, the Geolandar price was only given as an example. The tyres to come on the vehicle will be the D697s. I've used both on my Forester. Have pushed the Geos on wet mountain roads (and snow) and they gripped surprisingly well. Have done long stretches of gibber and corrugations and some sand and mud with the D697s and they're confidence inspiring. BTW acc to Bridgestone there's little difference between the 694 and 697.

For the benefit of others in the market I've got good service and am buying from Genesis in Ringwood Melbourne. They've gone the extra yards to make a sale. Remains to be seen if they'll deliver on time.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The MU-X has won its class in the Finke Desert Race.

Driver Bruce Garland said

"The car was fantastic. It's really well balanced – the chassis is really good – and we are really happy with it," says Garland. "It's good everywhere – it took an absolute pounding but it is really, really strong. I could say the same about the new Toyo AT tyres we tested. They worked well in the dunes, under brakes, whatever. They copped a hiding on the rocks but there were no problems whatsoever. They have proved to be brilliant at everything – just like the car."

From, and more, here: Garland triumphs in Isuzu MU-X: Car News- CarsGuide

5. Jad308

Jad308 Member

I wonder if they'll release an ECM pluggin like the D-Max one they have on the ISUZU Motorsport site (Sold Out) to convert the stock engine to racing tune, 195kW & 600Nm torque, shame the AISIN auto is only rated to around 470Nm I believe.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Expect someone will put out a chip.

More on suspenders: Aust'n Suspension Supplies (Croozer) can for 4x4earth members do an Australian-made lift kit with Tough Dog foam cell shocks assembled and Tough Dog springs (made by King) for $1100. They can courier from Bayswater.

For a comparative test in which the Tough Dogs figure see Raw 4x4 - Reviews

I have no connection with TD or ASS financial or otherwise.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. Croozer

Croozer Well-Known Member

Just to let everyone know! Just be careful of the Raw and Ultima shocks we don't sell them anymore for a reason! :rolleyes:

8. monbeg

monbeg Active Member

Thanks all. Took one for the second test drive with my other half this morning.

Signed on the line for a new LS-T with the alloy bar. May be ready to pick up this weekend.
    :D

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Congrats monbeg!

That's a good looking bar.

What did you find out about the radio and GPS?

I opted for Outback Bronze and get to wait 8 weeks.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Update on a Dobinsons bull bar: it's in development and expected in September. The D-Max version definitely doesn't fit.

11. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Congratulations on your purchase monbeg. Extremely jealous you could pick yours up so early. You'll have to post some pics of your rig with the factory bar when you get it. Do you know if they have made a provision for a winch in ISUZU bar?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No, the factory bar is not winch compatible Jad.

13. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Cheers Ziggy. With your LS-U did you go manual or auto? Also you seem to be gearing up for a serious off road vehicle with all your research, are you thinking of replacing the side steps with more substantial rock sliders at all? I've already dinged my passenger side ones a smidge while testing the cars ramp over ability on a recent 4x4 course 8)

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's good to know Jad. Can't say how serious I'll get about tackling rough stuff; will suck it and see. Will do a 4wd course too. Everyone says a bull bar is essential outback but I've thought not if you drive in broad daylight. And that worked for 5 years of annual trips til I caught a juvenile roo on the last one.

I went for an auto. Manual's my thing normally but my partner and I share driving on long trips and she's getting past stirring a box. And the manual mode of the auto is excellent.

What are your plans?

15. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Ours is the family bus so I'll be spacing upgrades over time. Don't plan on major off roading, but I'm sure it'll happen as I'm having a heap of fun. I'm off to a Sand course on the 22nd so I'll see how I go. I'm looking at a bull bar mainly to improve the entry angle and provide more nose protection. I may opt for sliders depending on what sort of terrain I start tackling. A snorkle is definately on the list just for the performance & economy improvement and less wear and tear on the air filter. I've got a GME CB which is portable at the moment as I suction cup it to the windscreen but I'd like to get that more permanently installed. Keen to run some heavy duty cable to the back so I can charge my ArkPak off the alternator or maybe hook up a CTEK 250s Dual so I can plug my solar panel in as well. Looking at fabricating a deck to sit on top of the folded 3rd row seats and storage box to put in the back so I can add some decent tie down points for my fridge and batterybox and maybe a some easy to add remove drawers when travelling.

Very much a wish list but gotta start somewhere. Thanks for posting all the nifty stuff you are coming across. I've been updating the header posts with the info you've been posting.

Cheers

16. monbeg

monbeg Active Member

Thanks Ziggy. It is the Clarion radio, I was told that the model in the MU-X is not the same as the Dmax as it doesn't have the DVD player, I didn't check if this was the case myself.
    Regarding the HEMA maps etc on the GPS I seem to get blank stares from personnel in both of the dealers I was in discussions with.
    I tried to have a play with it while on the drive yesterday but really couldn't establish much.
    It does seem to bring up most of the roadworks and the location of an accident on Portrush Rd that happened last Friday !

From what I have seen so far I think that Isuzu probably needs to get their frontline sales etc people up to speed on technology.

I haven't got it yet but hopefully it may be ready by this weekend, it was the one that I drove yesterday so they just have to fit the bar and do their delivery bit.

Cheers.

17. Jad308

Jad308 Member

Fingers crossed for an early delivery. I found that the Dealerships are a bit short on info, also ISUZU Ute Aust aren't big fans of being contacted directly either and prefer queries to come via the dealer network, which is sort of fair enough, however it would be nice if they were more forth coming with basic technical info without the extra hoop jumping.

18. padl0ck

padl0ck New Member

So I picked my MU-X/LST a few weeks ago - and have since driven Sydney to 12 Apostles along the coast (and back via Balarat) - a little over 3000km - and loved it! My wife also loved it I should add - and so did the three kids in the back.
    We've just had the front full bull bar added and roof racks - but I can't tell if they're 60kg load or 30kg load - waiting to hear from installer (prepaid with purchase but don't remember how much I paid).
    The GPS has been great - highlighting a bunch of dirt / 4x4 trails. We camped recently and took a few extra detours to explore some tracks only identified on the GPS. I also had the same experience around the 12 Apostles - found a dirt trail on the GPS that was hard to identify in real life - and followed it to a cliff view - and no one else was around - spectacular! and paid for itself right then with the wife's approval :)
    The radio is good (not sure the model) - but would like to quicker access to the balance controls so kids can have music in the back and a bit quieter in the front. We also listen mostly to a USB connected ipod - so playlists and songs all come up well.
    I contacted ISUZU on facebook and they said they were still working on updates for the GPS: a few parts of our trips we've been driving over empty greenery :)

Loving my car so far!

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Congrats padlock. Sounds like a win.

Is it the factory bar?

20. Croozer

Croozer Well-Known Member

Maybe Dave at Uneek might have a front bar in the pipeline for these and his work is awesome guys!