Change background image

Mitsubishi Pajero 96

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by rlm, May 7, 2011.

1. rlm

rlm New Member

Mitsubishi Pajero, 96

Good Points
    Comfortable, especially the front seats with armrests
    Quiet for a 4wd
    Powerful
    3.5 is more economical than my wifes Volvo

Bad Points
    None really, on the rare occasion a small bit of smoke through the valve seals.

What mods have you done?
    None so far

What mods are on the list to do?
    Bullbar
    Winch
    Spotlights

Why did you buy this vehicle?
    Entry height (bad back)
    Extra seats

How often do you go offroad?
    every few weeks

What will your next vehicle be?
    Later model Pajero

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. cptmud

cptmud New Member

Pajs are a great 4wd, enjoy

3. bmurray2250

bmurray2250 4x4 Earth Contributer

Nothing wrong with a Paj. Reviewing the oils you use, most people recommend the Castrol product for the engine. My brother has a Paj and since changing to Castrol it stopped smoking.

4. rlm

rlm New Member

I don't know what was in it when we got it but I put Castrol Magnatec in it, seems to start to smoke a little bit earlier than it did before.

Any idea which Castrol oil he uses?

5. ThePug

ThePug New Member

If its got alot of kms on it run something slightly thicker than whats reccomended and it should help.
    Eg, if it states 20w-40 run a 20w-50, My old girl had half a million on her and it didnt smoke a bit!

6. bmurray2250

bmurray2250 4x4 Earth Contributer

Just had a reply from my brother and he isn't happy with the Castrol he is presently using, he is going back to Pennzoil. The Pajero forum recommend the Castrol and what the Castrol recommendation for your engine. I am running Penritel HPR-30 (20W-60) and happy with that and may move to HPR-15 (15W-60) on the next change

7. Davidman

Davidman 4x4 Earth Contributer

Nothing at all wrong with the Pajero. I also have a 96 NJ, and it's been everywhere. Am interested in the oil discussion though, I use a heavier oil and don't get as much smoke, but be it coincidence or otherwise, the lifter noise (tapping) seems to last a bit longer after startup. Does anyone else get that, I have heard it is common in the Paj's

8. canyonaro MK1

canyonaro MK1 New Member

Wont go wrong with a Superpaj mate. A wonderful relationship between a man and his 4b has begun.:D
    You may not know it now, but one day!:cool:
    (I am perhaps just a little bias thou.):rolleyes:

9. ColinV

ColinV New Member

Mate just bought a Pajero 1996 GLX last week, took it out for its first run yesterday and was bloody impressed. Comfort excellent, power not a problem....this one has a Pajero sports system in it...sounds like a V8 climbing up the mountains. They are an excellent 4WD

10. mattyj

mattyj New Member

looks good

11. knucklehead

knucklehead Member

gday all i got a 95 paj only had it a few weeks, an, i is impressed,... good on fuel comfy, dose the job
    just wana go an play,....
    adrian

12. prawns

prawns Moderator

Thicker oil has more trouble circulating everywhere on a cold motor so its more likely to tap longer (as you have found) until it gets into all the places it needs to be. But the thicker oil helps seal the valve stem seals and stop some of the smoking so its kinda between a rock or a hard place decision wise lol (if you dont want to just replace the valve stem seals to fix the smoking issue)

I used to work at a used caryard and would say every 5th magna we had come in from auction, needed the valve stem seals replaced to stop the smokeing (I think some owners see the smoke and crap their pants and auction their cars off lols) Was the most common issue we had to fix on the magna motor actually - Pretty much guaranteed if its a magna motor and it smokes - its valve stem seals in my experience at least it seems to be a very common fault with them lols