Change background image

Maximium Battery volts

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Batts88, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

G'day last week I mounted a 110w solar panel on my canopy, in the cab a 20 amp pwm solar charge controller it's all connected to my starter battery which is a Supercharge allrounder it's a deep cycle/cranking battery I done this because it's running a Waeco CDF11 fridge sometimes. So without anything running the battery at rest during the night it's at 13v where as before it was around 12.7 good to have the extra storage but does that seam to high for a lead acid batt.

2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

When are you testing it? Whilst charging? It will hold a surface charge for a couple of hours. Best to test its state of charge whilst under load like with the fridge running.
    Tink

Batts88 and komaterpillar like this.
  3. Batts88

I have a voltmeter in the dash and give it a few hours before checking it after the sun has gone down also it can still be the same voltage in the morning before sun up or drop to 12.9v .

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  4. Snoo

Snoo New Member

Supercharge allrounder is a calcium/calcium battery afaik. 13v sounds about right for 100% state of charge. How you're testing the battery voltage is fine, but it's better to disconnect it and leave it a couple of hours then put a multimeter on it (because it will hold surface charge as Tink says).

5. Batts88

Oh I never knew that it makes a person a bit embarrassed to find out it was calcium/calcium should look at them a bit closer it's my 3rd one. Maybe when I bought my first one yrs ago the seller should have supplied some info on them or I should have researched them better.

So I done some more research in the right area this time it seams it could be the best thing I've done for it by fitting a solar panel because now it gets to shall we say a true full charge because most alternators will not get them there. Also apparently they can accept charge up around or more than 15.4v depending on brand ect. Thank you very much for the info Snoo that was a great help :cool:

Snoo likes this.
  6. Traveller

Traveller 4x4 Earth Contributer

Supercharge battery should have it written on the top of the battery the max input voltage, I think it is about 14.8 volts(the gold starter and marine are anyway)

7. Batts88

Thanks I'll have a look.

Update:
    Nothing on any of the stickers about input v couldn't find any thing on their web site either doesn't matter it seems ok, as mentioned good to have the extra storage capacity for the fridge.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM