Change background image

Lift kit?

Discussion in 'Triton' started by AdamHoulahan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. AdamHoulahan

AdamHoulahan New Member

hey all, just bought a 2016 gls and wanting to add around a 4” lift 2” body and 2” suspension and wanting to know what brand and kits I should be looking for

2. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the 4x4 Earth forum.

To do a lift like that properly is going to cost a heap of money. It's also well outside of the legal limits without engineering. If you don't get it signed off by an engineer (if anyone will do it, that is) your insurance is effectively void.

What do you want from the vehicle? What's the idea behind such a big lift?

Aaron

Swaggie likes this.
  3. AdamHoulahan

AdamHoulahan New Member

What’s the maximum height I can go to without being illegal

Will be planning to do lots of 4wding once I get the car ready for it and wanting as much height as possible for clearance

4. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

The body lift won’t help you much for clearance but will allow you to put bigger tyres under it
    It varies from state to state but usually it is a 2 inch lift as max
    If you are new to 4WDing I suggest you go for a mild lift and upgrade your tyres and have a crack from there, you will be surprised where you will be able to go
    I suggest you join the NewTriton forum and you will find all the upgrade options and opinions as to what works best for your vehicle

5. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

Superior Engineering,:cool: (stay off Ebay for major drive line parts mate !) also tyres to make it a complete package that works together ! good luck and have fun.

6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Adam

Welcome to the forum... If it was my vehicle I'd be buying some All Terrain Tyres ,A Bulbar, Winch and recovery gear (so at least you'll be able to recover yourself most times) adding a lift like that won't help much in the real world imo and illegal as previously stated, get out there and see how your vehicle goes first, you maybe very well surprised... You will never have enough lift on some tracks, it's about thinking ahead and wheel placement keeping in mind the lowest points on your vehicle, which is usually your diffs and in my case also the transfer case hangs fairly low. Also your driveshaft etc....

Good luck

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  7. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Look up the regulations in your local state - the road authority. I agree with the above suggestions. Drive the vehicle and see what you don't like about it, and modify it to suit.

What sort of 4WDing are you planning on doing?

Aaron

Swaggie likes this.
  8. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

9. Muddled

Muddled Member

Modern 4WD's are surprisingly capable out of the box, I've seen some big lifts on MQ's that work, but the guys behind them have sunk quite a few grand into getting it to actually work.

Believe it or not, whacking any old 4 inches of lift from rob down the road and the biggest muddies you can fit might actually result in a less capable vehicle, rather than more.

I'd advise you bugger off the factory side steps for something steel and gain some clearance there and at the least some AT tyres to replace factory H/T on the GLS. see how that treats you before spending big on stuff that might make your nice handling modern ute become a pig to drive.

Most people spend 95% of their time on the black.