Change background image

Ladder rack install

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Slaterranger, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Slaterranger

Slaterranger New Member

Hi all,
    I've recently purchased and installed an aluminium canopy for my PX Ranger but the ladder racks were not installed. I was wondering if anyone had installed these to their canopy? Tossing up whether to make up steel sleeve and plate and bolt them down through the roof with some steel tubing for extra support or weld them on. The 2 racks are just like a simple "H" style 50mm aluminium tubing. Open to suggestions as I'm a bit stumped and don't really want them to fail if I'm carrying anything.

Cheers

2. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Pics would help.

3. Slaterranger

Slaterranger New Member

Yeah I'll get some pics up in the morning.
    Cheers

4. Slaterranger

Slaterranger New Member

20170618_081434.jpg 20170618_081422.jpg Here's a couple photos. Apologies the ladder rack tubing is only 40mm. I couldn't upload the 3rd pic but it shows that I've only got roughly 5mm either side between the side door and the back of the canopy. Hope these help.

Attached Files:

Thug likes this.
  5. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Weld ether a piece of 75x5mm flat or a piece of angle to the the bottom of the and bolt through
    the ally to a matching plate on the inside of the canopy. Angle you'd mount over the edge for extra support
    but it may be harder, due to your door. Personally I'd go for the angle maybe 75x2.5 or 3.0 mm

6. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

G'day, how much weight will it be carrying? I'd be concerned about any flexing so close to the weld on the back edge of the canopy above the rear door.

May be overkill, but another idea is an internal frame bolted through the canopy roof to a bit of plate welded onto the legs of the ladder rack to save cutting larger holes in the canopy for a straight through sleeve installation.
    Cheers Leo

7. Slaterranger

Slaterranger New Member

I reckon your idea with the angle and bolted through is the way to go. Not gonna be carrying a massive amount of weight so that'll be supportive enough. Cheers heaps

8. Slaterranger

Slaterranger New Member

Yeah not a heap of weight just moreso to bolt an awning to and possibly a few sticks of timber now n then. See how I go with welding some angle and bolting it through. Failing that I'll get a full rack fabricated and installed.
    Cheers

9. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

What I did with my alloy canopy was to bolt down three rails of unitrut across the roof and then you can attach anything you want to it
    It is far stronger and more universal and all the Rhino accessories will connect straight to it
    A 6 metre length will cost you about $50 from any electrical or plumbing wholesaler

10. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Mine has one each end they were welded on in the factory right out near the corner of the canopy it's probably the strongest area for supporting weight they are rated to 150kg combined but would need extending to the bottom of the canopy to safely support more weight.

I reverse into a low carport a while ago and the weld on the canopy was fine it bent the roof and the weld on the 45 deg up right corner was torn open on 2 sides so no problems with it falling off the roof where it is attached.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017