Change background image

Hema HX-1

Discussion in 'GPS Talk' started by cultana, Nov 21, 2016.

1. GPS Guru

GPS Guru Member

The annual fee is only applicable to the app for IOS. It is not applicable for the HX-1.

2. barnsey062

barnsey062 Well-Known Member

all the units i have found on eBay and other stores via google state that they come with Free 4WD map updates for the life of the unit

3. GPS Guru

GPS Guru Member

That is correct.

barnsey062 likes this.
  4. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Active Member

5. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Active Member

Anyone else been following ebay and recently seen the hx1 for sale for $330.00 on several occasions.I feel its dodgy and ebay are deleting them as soon as they appear.I have seen 3 at this price(and the lisiting lasts only a few minutes)and everytime its newbie sellers with a different address.Two of the sellers are no longer registered,so my doubts are doubled,I just want to offer a bit of caution if you see these hx1's and are tempted.
    Or if you bought one and all was good,let us know.

6. GPS Guru

GPS Guru Member

Contact the seller and ask them for the serial number by making an excuse that you need the number to check something then call Hema to see if it is ridgy didge.

7. rob_macca67

rob_macca67 Active Member

I've just come across this for the iPad/iPhone from GPSOz: OZTopo for Apple
    I've always been interested in getting their maps for my Garmin but I've dodged the initial cost. This App is $99 for the iPad, so that's a bit more reasonable.... Not sure on updates though....

8. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Rob, the blurb doesn't say, but this could just be OSM type of thing, and Mapout, MapsME, Here Maps, etc are all free.
    Better than 1:25k ? Sounds like this might be a vector maps thing.
    Electronic devices and scale are really irrelevant now, unless using raster maps, like Hema 4WD Maps, which is also $99 in the App stores, less with iTunes discount cards bought at 15% / 20% / 25% off etc.

They don't give much away in the link re what you get, pics of maps etc, maybe the app store does.

9. rob_macca67

Yeah true.... I've sent them a message on their FB page, so will see what comes of that.....

10. Les PK Ranger

I just had a quick look at the app store, looks pretty reasonable, still there are low detail and high detail shown of same areas, so must be Vector, maybe they use OSM base, but just NE of Sunny Cnr, there is a bit of forest shown in their map pic with tracks, not shown on Mapout or MapsME, maybe be open tracks, if so, this might be good for $99 if it's good all round Aust.
    If VHC is covered like that, it'd be a beaut little nav programme !

11. rob_macca67

Here's the reply I received back from GPSOz:

My Question:

Keen on this as well, but what about Map Updates down the track? Will that come at an extra cost as well?
    Does it do everything the one does for your Garmin GPS's etc (ie Auto-Routing; Track Uploads/Downloads ?

Their Reply:
    GPSOZ The cost of map updates and their frequency is currently being discussed. We, and I'm sure you do too, want them to be zero or close to it. Apple doesn't offer an app upgrade option within their app store framework so we're looking at alternative ways of offering upgrades. For now, the next 12 months of upgrades will be included in the purchase price. Track uploads and downloads are included. At this stage auto routing is not but it's on our to do list. There's always something in the next version - that's the nature of technology!
    Regards Brian

Other Questions asked by others:
    Can it be linked to the oztopo that I have in a Garmin nuvi and hand held gps and on mac computer ??? So it's all the same across everything???
    How are you going to run updates etc now ???

Their Reply:
    GPSOZ OZtopo for iPhone/iPad is designed specifically for iPhones and iPads. There is no connectivity between other pieces of hardware. You can however import and export your waypoints and tracks to your Nuvi and MAC computer via BaseCamp. A write up on how to do this will appear shortly on www.oztopo.com.au .
    We use similar map data across both products. Updates for both maps and the app will occur on regular basis depending what needs to be released. At this stage we plan to update the app monthly (bug fixes and minor enhancements) and a major map release every 6 months. We also have the ability to add features eg Victorian High Country Huts to the maps without doing a complete map release making the downloads small. Hope that answers your questions. Regards Brian

Not sure if that helps anyone else, but for me, it's something definitely to consider.. At this point it's doesn't do auto-routing but I don't think that's a big think atm....

12. Les PK Ranger

Future maps / updates and cost.
    All the free OSM apps are free upgrades, I bet you anything theirs could be free if they wanted.
    But of course if they work to improve detail, poi, corrections etc, then updates should have a cost, only fair.

Auto routing is no big deal for offroading Rob.
    Most don't do it because it's too hard compared to city routes etc.
    Besides, most of the time you just use it like a paper map, only with the bonus is the moving map part your location shown on it as you move along.
    Most people know where they're going, all they need is to see tracks to get there and follow them, it's a no brainer really.

No doubt you can plot a route like hema ?
    Very easy to create a route if you want, and it doesn't have to be spot on, just used as a guide.
    Good to be able to track routes and have files to use again / send to others.

The maps do look good, and with decent detail, if the VHC is the same it would be a very good $99 system for i-device users.