Change background image

gu 4.5 fuel consumption

Discussion in 'GU Patrol' started by huntem, Jan 5, 2014.

1. huntem

huntem New Member

hey guys,
    just wanted to get some advice on my patrol,
    the gas consumtion has never been great but at the moment im only getting 310km from a 90lt tank and when im towing my van (17ft gvm 1500kg) its dropping to around the 270km range.
    its getting too the point i cant afford to drive it!

i have changed the air filter and plugs, that hasnt done anything had i checked by a mechanic he couldnt find anything.

next option is valve clearances will that change the consumtion?

anything else i should be checking?

2. bally

bally Banned

fuel filters and timing could be playing a part, blocked cat convertor or muffler too

3. Campin40

Campin40 Member

The way gas prices are heading it'll soon be time to rip the gas system out all together. My cruiser runs gas and once it hits $1.20 /liter ill be removing it. Just for your info my crusier is 4.5 six cyl and returns 402 Klms from 93 liters of gas.

4. Outrage

Outrage 4x4 Earth Contributer

Depends on your driving conditions, highway/around town, driving calmly or do you accelerate heavily, etc.

Your 90L tank, is your tank actually larger but your 'usable 90L' that gets you 310km or is it more like your 'usable 80L of your 90L tank' gets you 310km?

For reference anyway, the 'best' I have ever got from gas on mine was 19L/100km, that was very flat straight roads trailing trucks on the way to Queensland.

Usually it's 23L/100km, going up to 26L/100km as I do more town driving. Petrol is typically -4L/100km compared to gas under the same conditions.

Couple years ago mine was running a bit rough, valve clearances along with a service/tune, ran like a dream in comparison.

Know another 4.5 owner who was having issues, his was the tune was bad, causing it to run too hot, it melted the cat which severely restricted the exhaust. As Bally mentioned.

5. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

I get roughly 330- 340km's out of a useable 90ltrs of lpg when the tune is good, I normally take her in for a tune when it drops to around 300km's from a tank, thats about once a yr.
    Thats from a 4.5 80series.

6. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

Buy iridium power spark plugs from ebay motors usa because its the cheapest place to get them. that will give you 5% for a start and more torque. last a good 100,000kms and earn you about 8 tanks of gas in there life so it pays to own them.

valve timing is crucial to any engine running efficiently . Clean air cleaner is a must . some times its cheaper to change the air cleaner each time you change the oil than put up with a half clogged air cleaner and its fuel consumption . that's assuming it may be getting dirty.

oil condition also alters fuel economy so if its getting on in miles or lugging hard yards consider some 40/70 I run it in my lpg v8s and it makes piston rings seal so much better .

one thing you may not be considering is head wind . that kills fuel economy big time

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. AussieWheeler

AussieWheeler New Member

That's the same what I get it of mine.

Sent from my 4B while using low range

8. muc the truck

a 90 ltr tank is only 87% usable

due to bowsers pressure cut off .

9. Beever

Beever Member

What size tires you running? I take it also runs on petrol what milage dose it do on petrol.

10. Bush Ranger

Bush Ranger Active Member

I drove my nephews 4.2 (I think it was) GQ Patrol wagon and it`s dual fuel. I used a full tank of petrol and three green lights out of five on the gas fuel gauge from Perth to Dongara and it`s roughly 355 Ks. The motor had been reconditioned over 12 months before I drove it. I put it down to petrol / gas being in a 4x4 not being the best combination.

11. muc the truck

Lpg likes high compression 10-1 and better . So if you fit lpg on lower compression engines you get poor economy and poor performance . But what you said about lpg and petrol not being a great combination is so very wrong . For well over 20 years lpg installers have been able to run dual curve distributer settings by fitting a module that shifts the curve over to suit the optimum in lpg or petrol . The issue is people shop for the cheapest quote and don't see or ask what they are missing out on . The other issue is maintenance issues caused by extended periods on lpg . LPG will destroy or block fuel injectors , reduce spray patterns , if the patrol has spent a few years running on lpg and not fuel they will require a sonic clean and economy on fuel will improove . I drove my v8 disco around for 3 years and seized rock solid 8 injectors so run a fuel lube/cleaner when petrol is used to make them last . If you have dual fuel and you have not got one of these or similar your well behind those that do . My lpg v8 is 2 hp different at 7500 rpm between unleaded and Lpg using this http://autoparts.rasoenterprises.co...iming-control/timing-advance-processor-wolf-n

12. abw

abw Well-Known Member

Your not wrong about injectors getting gummed up. My mechanic sonic cleaned my injectors...not a hope, they were varnished pretty bad. So replaced with recos. I run a flashlube kit now. Drinks like the Queen Mary, but lpg costs me 65c ltr, so costs no more than an asthmatic 3ltr diesel;)

muc the truck likes this.
  13. muc the truck

I replaced my land rover ones with ford mustang , much better and half the price . I used flashlube too from then on.

abw likes this.
  14. Bush Ranger

Bush Ranger Active Member

I put it down to petrol / gas being in a 4x4 not being the best combination. How can that be wrong? Wouldn`t a diesel motor of a similar size be more economical than a 4x4 fitted with a dual fuel (petrol / gas)? My nephew ended up buying a ZD30 GU, due to the GQ being thirsty.

15. muc the truck

I looked at the entire post - I drove my nephews 4.2 (I think it was) GQ Patrol wagon and it`s dual fuel. I used a full tank of petrol and three green lights out of five on the gas fuel gauge from Perth to Dongara and it`s roughly 355 Ks. The motor had been reconditioned over 12 months before I drove it. I put it down to petrol / gas being in a 4x4 not being the best combination. - and took it as you were saying the lpg caused the fuel consumption issue you complained about . no diesel was mentioned, but now you have clarified I owned a v8 petrol /lpg landrover discovery and still would if it was not for a drugo driver . I travelled everywhere you would in a diesel including river crossings in 5 states of Australia . it never missed a beat . As long as you have enough lpg and fuel on board its no restriction . I had almost 200ltrs and I could follow the most economical diesel between fuel stops . That's only my opinion and a experience .

16. muc the truck

The fuel will keep going up too. do the maths at the time before you pull it out . China own most of our sugar mills to make the most out of ethanol . Once they have no competition the unleaded price will rice accordingly . It sux that LPG is not as much as a cost saving now but it would not surprise me at all that one day lpg is the cheapest fuel in Australia at double the price it is now.