Change background image

GQ SWD?

Discussion in 'GQ Patrol' started by Elias Perris, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Elias Perris

Elias Perris New Member

Hey guys,

So i'm buying my first car soon. Depending on what comes up, i either want a 60/80 series cruiser or a SWB GQ Patrol. I have been told by a few people that SWB Patrols/Cruisers don't have a very pleasant ride? Could someone please confirm this for me?
    Also, thanks for letting me join the forums!!

Cheers,

~Elias

2. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

All I will say is yes a crap ride but that's not a decider for everyone, I am deciding what to buy next and made my choice in cars then went and test drove some and found out they are crap and I couldn't justify the money for such a shit car...
    So go and drive some and make your own decision

89gqpatrol4x4 likes this.
  3. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

My first second and third cars weren't exactly what i wanted and had i to compromise on what i was getting .
    Look at it as a learning experience mate , if your car doesn't have a perfect fit so be it , learn from your experience.
    Oh and welcome to the forum :)

4. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Active Member

G'day Elias,welcome to earth mate, see if you can find some people with the model cars you have in mind and see if you can go for a ride with them, then decide - your only 15 so you have plenty of time to decide what suits you.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  5. 89gqpatrol4x4

89gqpatrol4x4 Active Member

Mate I really don't think the 60 is in the same class as a gq or 80 and then it comes down to coin and what you want to do! Patrols are cheaper but 80's arguably a nicer car.

6. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Short wheel base 4WD's can be rough to ride in especially if they have leaf springs which also tend to follow the grooves in the road and wander a bit more than a wagon. A coil sprung vehicle should give a more comfortable ride because the coils absorbs the bumps better than a leaf does. I know the GQ/Maverick shorties had a fairly comfy ride from the factory I use to drive my bosses around a bit back in the early 90's. It has to do with suspension set up how rough the ride is you can make them reasonably comfortable but you may compromise handling into corners a bit and tyre size will affect handling as well on all vehicles 31" tyres will "generally" perform better on road than 33" or 35" because the sidewalls are smaller and you will get less roll there may be some exceptions to this without getting to technical or causing an up roar.

The old 60 series cruiser have always been a very capable off road vehicle and will surprise some where they can actually go but you need to get a good suspension set up like O.M.E to help get the best out of them but they will still fall a bit behind what a GQ/Maverick or an 80ser can offer in comfort and handling that's just my opinion I have owned 2 of them in the past and think their a great vehicle but as they get older they suit the more die hard 60ser guys these days. I would personally direct a new comber to get a later model vehicle like the GQ/Maverick or 80ser cruiser which both have coil sprung rides and both are still as popular as ever and lots of parts are available. I started out with a shorty 40ser cruiser but after 3-4yrs up graded to a wagon for the extra space just something to think about. It also helps if your mechanically minded when buying any of these older 4WDrives as you will soon learn that lots of things need replacing with age especially if you hit the tracks a bit.

7. GaryM

GaryM Active Member

I think they make a good first 4WD choice, so many goodies available for them, new and second hand. Ride is for the retired.

komaterpillar likes this.
  8. cam04

cam04 Active Member

Shorty gq's ride and handle perfectly well. Lifting them more than a couple of inches over standard is where the trouble starts.

9. Elias Perris

Elias Perris New Member

Hey everyone! Thanks heaps for the input. I've ended up with a 1981 HJ60 over the weekend for $950. It'll need some work, but in the end it'll be worth it!!

tankbloke, Bomber2012 and oldlux like this.
  10. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

Sounds good, you got any pictures yet?

11. Elias Perris

Elias Perris New Member

Only one. It defiantly looks worse in this image though!

A workmate might have me a lead on a clean roller!!

Attached Files:

oldlux and komaterpillar like this.