Change background image

Gme uhf aerial

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by beauzoladz, Aug 13, 2017.

1. beauzoladz

beauzoladz New Member

hey guys just wondering about the gme aerials, I have the stock standard aerial that came in a pack, I'm just after a good one for when in the bush, does anyone know how far this would one I have attached reach. any recommendations and info would be good cheers

Attached Files:

2. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

3. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Aerial choice should be based on terrain, and purpose. Hilly, go lower dbi. Long flat plains, longer distance between units in comms, higher dbi.
    5 or 6dbi being a reasonable trade off if you only have one to choose from.

A 'standard'* aerial radiates trans as a ball, and higher db flattens it to a disc shape. That makes it go longer distance, but loses top and bottom or higher and lower coverage. Picture a ball, and then flatten it out.

*Standard aerial lol, isotropic, dipole, dbi, db blah blah... thats not a dig at your stock standard comment, but there are a few ways to measure aerial performance over a standard measure, and a tech gurus can argue one over the other for days.

[​IMG]

akin and barcher like this.
  4. beauzoladz

beauzoladz New Member

Perfect this is just what I was after thank you, will 2.1dbi be okay for the more hilly terrain/high country, or should I look at something a touch higher like 5-6 dbi.

5. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

It has a spring for vibration, and the next section to make it ground independent, then the low dbi aerial. Without getting into debates about brands and various styles (GME is decent stuff, I use them), its probably as close to right as you can get for hilly country.

Be aware all UHF is effected by objects, like mountainside in the way (or the car itself if the aerial is below the roofline) so distance style aerials are of limited use in that situation. Moreso if youre communicating at different altitudes, or youre facing uphill (downhill), and the other unit is not within its plain. Transmission that gets as high and low as it does wide is the most useful in hills, and thats low dbi. Ridge to ridge, across a very wide valley, higher dbi could come into its own again. Having the right antenna, with only one antenna, its always a tradeoff. If the aerial comes off, you can carry a higher dbi for just such occasion.

Get the tip of the 2.1 above (or as realistically as possible) the roof line incl racks etc on its ground independent base and its probably about as good as it will get for hills. UHF is nice, its clear, but hit and miss at times due to the high frequency and susceptibility to being blocked. Old 27meg could bounce and skip vast distance. across oceans.

beauzoladz likes this.
  6. beauzoladz

beauzoladz New Member

Thanks bud. Where'd you learn all this lol