Change background image

Gibb River Road Trip July 2017

Discussion in 'Western Australia' started by Smurfed, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Hey all,

My missus and I are setting off for the Kimberley's in two weeks (July 1st) for 5 weeks. Our plans are to leave Toowoomba QLD and start the drive northwest. We plan to turn off and head along the Buchanan Highway for some new scenery then align ourselves for the Gibb.
    We have all the well known spots pinned along the Gibb, but would be very interested on hearing of any little hidden gem spots/camp spots (paid and free, free's always good haha) people have found along the way worth visiting. Most of these hidden places are the most memroable when you just stumble on to them. We are pretty self sufficient with plenty or fuel and food/beer for long periods as we enjoy the remoteness.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty hectic getting all the final things in place before be leave, just looking forward to getting on the road now. Amazing how the time just disappears then there's the mad rush at the end. Look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions!
    Cheers,

2. callmejoe

callmejoe Active Member

We really enjoyed Elquestro. If yr into bush walking swimming holes an great sunsets it ticks all them off. The place is that big if you stay a week you still wont be able to do all the activities they offer.
    Its also a great place to base camp, I'd stay minimum of 3 days. If you want a private campsite you may have to pre book. Me personally if yr self sufficient would try them out, the main camp grounds can get a little crowded. But its not bad sitting at communal fire at admin after dark if musics being played. Cannot say much for the quality of singers thou.
    Zebade springs a must. Open till 12pm every day.
    Elquestro trail/walk and Emma gorge are must does.
    Start the walks as early (6am) as possible an you find you'll have them to yourself for a short time, and still have time to make Zebade springs by 11am to relax of a hr, cause yes they will kick u out... I found most tour groups started 7.30ish / 8. And you realllly want to be in front of them...
    Sunset at both Saddle ridge and pigon hole. Go a good half hr before sunset, dont leave it to the last min our you get stuck behind a novice / no idea driver. Also being up there early allows you to have snacks an beers an just draw it all in. Hint don't leave untill its completely dark. It was amazing on how many people leave early because they didnt want to drive down the hills in the dark but in my opions they miss half the sunset...even once the sun goes behind the hill the colours it still throws up can be fantastic.
    Drop in on Wyndham as well an check out the look out. I think its call 5 rivers or something. Fantastic views

Joe.

3. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

That's awsome thanks Joe, El-questro is certainly on the list and a place I have wanted to see for a few years now. We had sort of planed a minimum of 3 days there, so if we need a couple extra we can. My missus wont leave the place unless we visit Zebade springs, I think that's the biggest 'must do' on her itinerary for the trip haha. Thanks for the heads up on the 5 rivers look out too. That certainly looks worth a look!

4. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Bush camp at El Questro, as above. Recommend number 4 campsite - Quail - but you'll have to pre-book. Mount Elizabeth is worth a look, as is Mornington Wilderness. Lots to do there, and despite being a fair trek off the road its a magic place to spend a few nights.

Aaron

80lover96gxl likes this.
  5. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Thanks Aaron. I hadn't seen too much on the Mornington Wilderness Camp so thanks for that suggestion, another to add to the list!
    Another question is what is the best way to get the permits for the Kimberley's and do you need specific ones for specific areas or can you get one that covers basically all of it? From what I had been reading places like Kalumburu needs its own permit is that correct?

6. Klasb

Klasb New Member

Robin Falls Rest Area-Campingplats
    Robin Falls
    NT 0822
    Australien

7. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Unsure about Kalumbaru, but the major attractions are just national parks - get a pass and you are good to go

Aaron

8. muzza22au

muzza22au Well-Known Member

I have done the Gibb 6 times in total so far. And love it, last time I tried free camping and there are some great spots along the way, there is an awesome spot where you can camp under a huge Boab tree with the ranges in view.

[​IMG]DSC_0088_1 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

80lover96gxl likes this.
  9. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Yes.

These links might help..

https://www.daa.wa.gov.au/globalassets/pdf-files/maps/state/partiii_daa-2016.pdf

https://www.daa.wa.gov.au/land/entry-permits/about-entry-permits/

http://www.kalumburu.org/permit.html

From memory (arranged a few last year), I think there are drop down menus where you need to select the individual community in the permit application, but I could be remembering wrong.

10. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Thanks guys for the help, will finish getting the passes/permits organised this week for the trip.
    Thanks for the links to the info on Kalumburu Mr Rum. These were the links I was also looking at so ill get in touch with them and see what we can organise.

Looks like a sweet spot Scott will definitely keep an eye out for this. Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks to be just off the Pentecost river?

Thanks for the heads up on this spot. Unfortunately we wont get to it on this trip as its too far up (closer to Darwin) then we are heading. Looks like a great spot though!

muzza22au likes this.
  11. muzza22au

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 2.54.58 pm.jpg

Smurfed and barcher like this.
  12. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

We really enjoyed the Munja track. Certainly not for everyone, but if it's remote wilderness and low range sections of track you're looking for this is well worth it. Would need 6 or 7 days to do the lot or just go in to Bachstein camp.

13. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Awsome thanks for the mud map Scott!

This looks great I think we'll definitely be returning to do this track. Will see how we are going for time and see if we can at least make it to the Bachstein camp. Thanks for that. Did you do this track with a couple of vehicles or do it on your own?

muzza22au likes this.
  14. barcher

Did this track on our own, saw three other vehicles in 3 days. Sounds like you're interested so will put more info on tonight.

15. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Thanks that would be great. Times going to be our limiting factor but always good to plan the next trip while we already on one. If we can get to it we certainly will give it a crack!

barcher likes this.
  16. muzza22au

Was the easiest way to show you, a good app to use is Wikicamps Australia. Set your filter to free and it will show you whats available. If you go to photos you can see images of the camp site and also look at the comments regarding that particular camp site. A very handy app.

17. barcher

Late May last year we were on the munja track, only went as far as Bachstein camp. The dozer was going on to Walcott Inlet to open the remainder of the track early June. You start at Mt Elizabeth station, costs $100 to do plus a $50 key deposit for the gate. You can camp along the track. If you stay at Bachstein there are fees and toilet and showers. They put a huge effort into opening the track each so cowboys cutting it up are discouraged. To Bachstein and back took us 3 days. Well worth it, nice remote wilderness

Attached Files:

Aaron Schubert and Smurfed like this.
  18. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Yeah we quite often use Wikicamps Aus. have had a lot of success with it. we also have the Hema maps on the ipad which works really good. Allows us to track where we've been and place markers on spots we've come across. Would recommend it to anyone thinking of getting it.

Thanks for the photos and info Barcher. Love the 80 series! definitely looks like a must do track.

muzza22au likes this.
  19. muzza22au

I actually just loaded Hema onto my ipad, have been using mudmaps alot and thought I would go for the change. So far it does seem better.
    I have both Hema and Mudmaps on my Samsung S8+ as well.

20. Smurfed

Smurfed New Member

Do you have yours on a windscreen mount? If so what brand do you use?