Change background image

Garry Junction Road Alice Springs to Port Headland

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by gmcclena2009, Oct 2, 2017.

1. gmcclena2009

gmcclena2009 New Member

Hi all. Planning to do the trip from Alice Springs to Port Headland next August. We will drive the Gary Junction road. If any one can give me some clues please as to fuel stops, camping, road conditions, how long to drive across, and any special landscapes to see along the way. We are no afraid to go off road and will be towing off road cub campers. We have experience with out back tracks and 4x4 but any information is great full so as to be well prepared.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Re road conditions, the standard disclaimer applies. They vary: acc to the last rain, the last grading, the last month's worth of traffic. They vary by location. It's 1639 kms from Alice to Marble Bar. The NT side was poor when I went through and the NT side of many cross-border roads has the rep of being worse than the other state's. But there's a lot more local traffic there too particularly east of Papunya.

Much of the WA side from the border westwards had recently been graded or remade after the flooding at Xmas. Kiwirrkurra had been cut off for something like 3 months.

4. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

On the WA side there is a long stretch of Mine area with no camping - we had to push on to Marble Bar for a late camp last year.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You're talking about the Telfer road?
    There is by the way some Telstra mobile reception around there too. Where you climb to some high points west of Punmu.
    Punmu also has fuel - an item missing from many travellers' accounts.

6. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I did the Alice to Marble Bar last month, the roads a freeway. I could easily sit on a hundred for most of the way, in some sections possible 80 is all you could do. That's how I found it but I'm experienced with outback travel, how others find it and what they say is up to the individual. It will change due to conditions (weather etc) with traffic and time things can and do change. Be prepared for the worst, drive to conditions etc and you may be pleasantly surprised. It was brilliant when I did it.

Col.

on the run, Mr Rum and billolga like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The NT side has some of the best little known scenery in the Centre in the form of quartzite mountains and ranges. The road parallels them on the northern side running east to west. Mt Edward rises c.700 m steeply from the plains to hit 1400m.

Mt William
    Mt William NT.jpg

Haast's Bluff
    Haast Bluff.jpg

Liebig I think
    Liebig maybe.jpg

BIGCOL and Mr Rum like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There's some fascinating settler history there. It's Len Beadell territory and you will see his plaques from c. 1960 on the way and his old food truck remains at Kiwirrkurra.
    http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/nt/gary-junction-rd.htm

You need a CLC transit permit for the NT side and that's available online.
    https://www.clc.org.au/index.php?/articles/info/transit-permit-application

On the WA side a written application to transit is needed and you apply to the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs or direct here:
    http://www.ngaanyatjarra.org.au/permits/getting-permit
    Allow a couple of weeks for processing.

boobook, BIGCOL and Mr Rum like this.