Change background image

Fridge drop slide safety

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Leggator, Mar 23, 2013.

1. FODFA

FODFA New Member

My daughter had one of her fingers chopped off when she was young by getting it slammed in a door, surely they can redesign all doors to remove this inherent fault? Hey shit happens and the surgeons were able to reattach it, you would never know now.

Cheers Andrew

2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

That's it take my off the cuff Statment from simple packaging to the Workforce, Schools and Industry.. Wow

Maybe start a movement to have warnings on the Instructions themselves 'reading this manual can cause severe paper cuts, in the event of this happening dial 000'

Hang on he can't, the other finger is trapped in the drop down fridge slide and the mobiles on the front seat of his vehicle :eek:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Your dead right mate shit does happen,

The other day I was a passenger in a vehicle, the passenger window was down a bit and I had my hand out the widow singing along to a song, suddenly the bright spark (no names mentioned) decided to put the window up without saying anything trapping my fingers, I went from Heavy Metal too Opera in two seconds flat

4. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't be laughing BUT....:D:D:D

5. cookie64

cookie64 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yes :D stop laughing, :D:D, you evil person :D:D:D

6. struth

struth New Member

Now c'mon, your off the cuff statement with a previous statement quoted with it to add context. Or do you mean your off the cuff statement I have quoted here re paper cuts?

Really, if you want to belittle safety in products or claim nanny state or whatever attitude you are trying to get across with your off the cuff statements then expect to have them challenged.

7. struth

struth New Member

I guess that if the accident happened while the door was being used in a manner it was designed to be used, then yes redesign that door. If the door was slammed shut so hard it could chop a finger off then is was being used outside its scope of design and intended use, so no all doors do not need redesigned.

Oh, sorry you were being facetious, not serious, excuse my honest answer then.

8. cookie64

Mate, I am not trying to start an argument but I feel that it does need to be put into context. As stated prior, I am all about safety but it is coming to the point, as some have mentioned, that it is consuming our world and just because there are a few that don't think before they act, doesn't mean to say that you need to treat everyone as the same moron

cheers

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  9. PJR NSW

PJR NSW Banned

Wake up to yourselves. If you were stupid enough to fall off a roof its your fault. We are talking about camping not a major factory or a construction site or even the garage. What about getting the kids hands caught in the car door. That's just as bad.

Do you let your child play with fire. I bloody hope not. Do you look to see if there are kids in the area? And not just yours but others kids. I damned well expect that you would. When you mow the lawn do you watch out for kids, adults (yep adults) and animals and also stones so that you don't break the neighbour's windows. I hope so.

Next you will want us all to have flashing lights on the roof and a bloke out front with a red flag. And I am led to believe that the law requiring a red flag to proceed a motor vehicle has never been repealed.

My grand kids cannot even reach the top of the tailgate let alone the fridge slide handle. But I keep them away from firs, dangerous things and watch for little fingers when I close or open things.

I guess the big difference here is that I care and take responsibility for my own actions and shortcomings. And I do not over extend myself. Nor would I sue a shop or even go crook at them, if I burnt or scalded my fingers on a hot cup of tea. Not like some.

Phil

10. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I wouldn't even bother Cookie... ;)... Everyone knows safety is paramount whether your an Employer or Employee, doing stuff you love to do etc etc, others want people wrapped in cotton wool,well its there BUSINESS too. Most times its just plain common sense..

11. PJR NSW

PJR NSW Banned

I think that we are finding a bit of common ground here. It's where parenting and responsibility in the home and camping finishes and where business, construction and the rest starts. I think that the fridge is an owners responsibility as is his mower. But a welder and factory (steel ladder in pool example above) is more of a construction device and needs a bit more care and safety.

Phil

12. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Buggers.. :p;)

13. PJR NSW

PJR NSW Banned

Agreed. Give the man a beer.

Phil

14. FODFA

FODFA New Member

Her finger was caught in the hinge side of the door, it was closed from the other side and nobody saw her, so do we redesign every door in the country because one child had an accident?

Nothing is safe, life is dangerous, yeah if people are regularly or likely to get hurt then change it, if its a one in a million problem with relatively minor consequences then that's life.

Cheers Andrew

15. PJR NSW

PJR NSW Banned

Nothing better than a good laugh.

Is this you Swaggie?????

Turn the speakers up an enjoy . . . . Best Laugh Ever!! - YouTube

Phil

16. struth

struth New Member

Yeh I can see your point guys.

I used to build machinery and safety was a huge factor both so people didn't get hurt on our machines and to protect us as well.

I guess to me the drop slide is being manufactured and sold by someone and I think they have a responsibility to try and design out any obvious safety issues. So I sort of agree with BWs statement (but they are pretty dumb if they can't work out how to make it safe). When I look at the drop-slide I can see ways to minimise the dangers that might not make the unit quite as attractive a proposition to the buyer but would make it a good degree safer and still a functional useable item.
    My comments are coming from a background in OH&S which I think should extend to all our lives at home too as far as how we treat dangers around the home or when enjoying our hobbies.

BTW FODFA, I am glad they were able to fix your daughters injury, its horrible when your kids get hurt.

17. struth

struth New Member

BTW guys I am not advocating wrapping people in cotton wool, just saying that manufactures of products have a real responsibility IMO to ensure their products can't harm people too easily and a responsibility to manufacture products with safety high on the manufacturing/ design list. Especially in a Marketplace such as au where safety is treated seriously and with the respect it deserves.

I know of a Bakers where the owner employs people cheaply, people who might not get a job elsewhere because of language barriers etc. One of these workers was able to open the lid while a machine was going and reach in, which resulted in her hand being seriously mangled.

Do those here carping on about "wrapping people in cotton wool" think it would have been too much to either,

a) train her not to do this
    b) put a limit switch on the machine that turns it off when the lid is opened.

Or do they think either of the above would have been a good idea

18. cookie64

Mate this is a 4wd forum and is getting wildly off track, we are talking about fridge slides not industrial / commercial Occ Health & Safety.

I have had my fair share of horrendous things that I have seen frst hand & second hand and try to divorce myself in my own time to keep my sanity so please, no one on here is advocating people mangling themselves but having a light hearted discussion about a 4wd product.

Please let's keep it on track

cheers

19. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Are you serious????????????????????? If there ever was, THIS is a case of Cleansing the Gene pool!!!! Maybe she should have put her head in! What a DOPE!

20. cookie64

Frosty, you are the resident trouble maker, are you not :D:D

cheers