Change background image

Free digital topo maps

Discussion in 'GPS Talk' started by Ziggy, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Natmap topo 1:250,000 are available free. See access details below.
    You can view these just with a PDF viewer or add them to the Avenza Maps app when you select d/l as georeferenced PDFs. This app provides GPS functions.
    For outback these are IMO the best maps available - by that I mean have the most geographic information.
    There are two limitations: they can be fairly old and the scale is too small for fine navigation. That second point means they're not my first choice for mountain country where there are numerous tracks that may not be signposted.

Download: advice from the publisher
    To access each map, using our topographic map index (see http://www.ga.gov.au/metadata-gateway/metadata/record/75410/), identify the name of the map that you would like, then type the map name into the ‘Data and Publications Search’ (http://www.ga.gov.au/search/index.html#/) to locate and download each map. (Note: the index covers 100K topos as well. Take care to compare them against the 250s; many users found them inadequate).
    By using our Interactive Maps (http://www.ga.gov.au/interactive-maps/#/theme/national-location-information/map/australiantopography), to customise your area of interest and then save as a pdf. (Note: this isn't working for me at the moment and there's a query in with GA).

Use with Avenza Maps app
    If you have more money than time you may prefer to go down the paid route. You can d/l these maps within Avenza. Some you'll have to buy.

Or the no-cost option is to d/l them as georeferenced PDFs and run them in an old version of free Avenza which doesn't have the limit of 3 of your own sourced maps. That's around v1.7.3 which you'll have to load via the side door, ie. outside of the Google or Apple stores. (Search for Avenza 1.7.3 APK. Beware hacked versions; the installation should not ask you to do anything).
    Alternatively, in the free version of the app from Google Play or the App Store buy the USD30 per year upgrade which allows unlimited own-source maps.

Tobermorey 250.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

I use australian topo maps on androiD. Cost me $11 or something for the pro version, has nsw, tas, qld and nt topographic plus a number of others I.e. openstreetmap, all cached, no data required.

Seem to be very accurate to, especially with locked gates etc

mauriceb and WildtrakRudy like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Yup, thats the one, free version lets you se all the maps, paid version allows you to cache them, so you can see what you are getting.

Agreed it is a pita that SA and Vic are missing although not so much a problem being in the ACT...

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

6. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

They look like good maps Ziggy.That section appears better than the Aust Topo map ,more names. With the Android Aust Topo there is a large selection of map to choose and download .The app is a bit of a pain as it wont always load all saved tiles and leave screen patchy, even with 3 gb of ram. Compare the images

Attached Files:

7. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

Here is a few other maps of same area from oziexplorer on a Tab 15105452399821.jpg 15105452400352.jpg

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ozi is software to run GPS and maps, yeah? What's the map brand that's being displayed in your last post?
    I run Oztopo on my Garmins and figure that a cost of having national topo coverage at around 25K is reduced detail.

9. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

The open topo Map ticked on the image in Australia Topo Maps android . I have never seen the Garmin Oztopo however have the Garmin v5 Aust/nz topo . im not that impressed with it and prefer the OSM .img's that you can create from there site. Good as a guide and in conjunction with another program.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, Garmin Topo Aus has never been much good.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Back to freebies ...

Re Mapshare and GeoTiffs: the Avenza app it seems will accept GeoTiff format but the Mapshare program comes up with an error msg when asked to 'print' in it.

12. Hotdog

Hotdog Active Member

13. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

Bushwacker and Ziggy like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  16. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

There auto rerouting was a bit sketchy out there also, it could send you into dire shit... Especially in The High Country

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    I had one system that if you selected 4WD mode of travel it just drew a straight line to your destination.
    But I think offroad auto routing is chancy whatever system you use. I've only used Oztopo in that mode once and it did OK given the possible routes weren't many.

Swaggie likes this.
  18. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

You should try their dedicated Truck Nav System , Around the World in 80 days , instead of 30 , lol.

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Running this on an 8" Android tablet I've been able to export the map shown in geoTIFF and then add that to Avenza's maps.
    Too much of the screen is taken up with the Tools bar and that limits the coverage of the ouput - but they are just developing the site and happy to get feedback. Use the email address on the Home panel.