Change background image

Fitting anchor points for child restraints

Discussion in 'Other / Miscellaneous' started by Patriot, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Patriot

Patriot Super Moderator

Does anyone know what the go is in getting anchor points fitted in a vehicle that doesn't have them? Is there something that I can buy or does it have to be fitted by an expert?

2. Traveller

Traveller 4x4 Earth Contributer

Have fitted them myself to a dual cab ute I had 10 years ago, not a hard job, but don't know about
    legalities these days.
  3. subimanx

subimanx New Member

In QLD they need to be blue plated after being installed by an approved fitting station.....or by yourself with the engineer certifing them/supplying the blue plate.
  4. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost 4x4 Earth Contributer

Buy the approved one(s), and fit as per the instructions supplied to the anchor point bolts behind the rear seats, either in the roof or on the floor behind the seats. Just make sure you do them up nice and tight. So far there are no regs that I am aware of in Vic.
  5. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Queensland is similar. Buy approved kits and most vehicle's have the threads ready. Patrols have 1 behind each rear seat. Bolt in tight!! When kids are older, you can use them to tye down fridge!
  6. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

If it's safe enough for your kids, it's hopefully safe enough for your beer! :rolleyes:
  7. croozza

croozza Active Member

Depends on the vehicle.....You can buy a crab bar, this bolts the either side of the cargo area on the inside of the vehicle and allows you to use the full cargo area without the straps gitting in the way.

MGWREF New Member

In NSW they are required to be fitted by an approved RTA installer, then they will not require an Engineers report. Child restraints are an ADR, 34 to be exact.
  9. Sambartom

Sambartom Active Member

I think you may find that there is or was regs in Vic...
  10. Pure Yobbo

Pure Yobbo Moderator

In the new D40 Navara ST Model they have to be installed by a "Installer" and then certified. On the D40 STX Model they come as standard. Go Fiqure!

Cost us an extra $400 when we purchased the new D40 for child restraints.

As for the Patrols both GQ & GU the bolt holes are waiting in the floor just buy the correct restraints and bolt in.
  11. NickE

NickE New Member

Yeah, for some reason most commercial vehicles do not come with child restraint anchors unless you buy the top model (SR5 Hilux, ST-X Navara etc). Its kind of ridiculous really, considering its now part of the law in Qld (and I'm sure other states too now) for children to be placed in car seats. Perhaps the vehicle standards for Australia need to change new vehicle requirements to include child anchorage points.
    As much as commercial vehicles (ie. utes of all types + 70 series cruisers) are intended to be used as a work vehicle, they are more and more becoming the norm for families to use them as multi-purpose vehicles. I bought my dual cab D22 Nav with intentions of having a family in the future, while being a capable offroader, and a great trades vehicle. It was only recently I realised the D22 does not come with child anchorage points. Bummer. Oh well, on the flipside, it gives me a good excuse to suggest to the Mrs a trade in for a new D40! (one with all the luxuries!) :)
  12. jazzajess

jazzajess New Member

i fitted all our car seats myself wasnt hard at all, the patrol we had to buy 2 more bolts but the mazda come with 3 anchors in it,
  13. Pure Yobbo

Pure Yobbo Moderator

Thats correct in a Patrol there are bolt holes ready and wainting. I fited them to both my Patrols as well. In the new D40 Navara ST there isn't any holes to bolt the points into.
  14. discomick

discomick Member

i just bought the RX and yeah same found no place for the anchor bolt, but nissan put me onto a place that comes to you, however i was local so dropped it round to them and only cost 150.

this may help
    TOSSA | In Car Audio Visual, Towbar, Bull Bars, Nudge Bars installation services Australia
  15. chrisholloway

chrisholloway New Member

hi guys. new baby is here and now I have this problem for the navara.:confused::confused:
    no mounting points fitted behind the rear seat. does anyone know somewhere in the south east that can fit or supply a bolt. thanks.

and just to jump the gun a bit..... buy a toyota or a patrol or a jeep etc is not an option at this point in time ( looking at you frosty and big rig):D:D:D:D:D
  16. NickE

NickE New Member

I have yet to follow up, but have been told Suncoast towbars on the Sunshine Coast do the modification and certificate... Although after just fitting the rear-facing Safe-n-sound seat in my wifes car, I really can't see how a rearward facing baby seat would even fit in the Nav! Perhaps I'll have to wait until bub is old enough for forward-facing!
  17. deepop

deepop 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yes James,

You need to get them fitted professionally and engineered. You can install the restraining bolts and seats yourself but not the mounting points themselves.