Change background image

Easy Carbonara

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by cloughcarib, Jul 22, 2010.

1. cam04

cam04 Active Member

Just reread this thread. If you are tired of your carbonara curdling, separate the eggs and cook with just the yolks - this little thing makes a big difference to a carbonara.

2. MyCrazy80

MyCrazy80 Well-Known Member

The eggs don't curdle! They scramble! There's no acid (citrus) to cause curdleing, its all about the temperature that you mix the cream and the eggs into the pan that makes it smooth and not get the small bits of scrambled egg that your referring to be "curdled" egg!

tankbloke likes this.
  3. cam04

cam04 Active Member

Denatured proteins will 'curdle' and clump in the presence of excessive heat, acid, salt, OR enzymes. The curdling reaction is often quicker in the presence of acid (citrus), but it is certainly not the only way to curdle protein. What stops curdling? Fat or corn starch. The yolk contains 99% of the egg's fat - the whites have basically none.
    Bottom line - if you don't want curdles, clumps, lumps or scrambles - call them what you like - ditch the whites for an easy shortcut and you don't have to care about the temperature of the eggs or the cream - trust me.

4. Mark Bridges

Mark Bridges New Member

Thanks for the great recipe!
    I will modify it with a bit of garlic and add a pinch of melted red pepper. Should be tasty:)

cloughcarib likes this.
  5. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

My Mrs if not using cream, uses a mix of whole egg and egg yolks. Have not tried it with chicken but it does sound tasty. Ill shall find a way to broach that subject without being starved of carbonara.

As to the egg scramble/curdle, just add the eggs when its off the heat. The residual heat should cook it enough without scrambling them. Add a splash of pasta water to get it glossy. Its supposed to be saucy, not fried.

MyCrazy80 likes this.
  6. Borec

Borec Active Member

I also ad finely diced onions

GaryM likes this.
  7. cloughcarib

cloughcarib Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite....... What the heck is melted red pepper? do you mean like a Monterey Jack cheese?

8. Mark Bridges

Mark Bridges New Member

I must have been inaccurate. I meant this