Change background image

Clam shell roof tents

Discussion in 'Tents' started by mikehzz, Oct 6, 2017.

1. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Can anyone with personal experience tell me how the hard shell James Baroud style roof tents stand up to heavy wind and rain? My canvas style roof tent felt like it was going to be ripped to shreds by the wind the other night. It was buffeting and jerking violently all night.....normally that's just me. :) Setting up and packing up was like herding cats with bits of canvas and covers being blown in all directions. I'm interested in something similar with less canvas that is simple to set up and pack up solo, yet remains dry and is reasonable in wind. I don't know anyone with that style of tent.

Mr Rum, 80lover96gxl, Albynsw and 3 others like this.
  2. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I looked at them closely but what turned me off was that they are a bit short, tight on space and lack sheltered ventilation and ventilation in general if in hot wet conditions up north so I have stuck with my ARB style RTT that is about seven years old now
    The one thing I don't like about it is the flapping in wind which I assume you have the same style?

So can't give you any personal experience but they are some other considerations if looking
    I would still like a hard shell RTT and considering having one made out of alloy and canvas if I can't find one with the features I like

80lover96gxl and mikehzz like this.
  3. mikehzz

My tent is an Oasis 5.2 which is a lightweight frame and canvas with an elastic floor. I've had it around 7 years and it is generally very good. It just has the sleeping area for 2 and no external covered areas like the arb one, so I'm not going to miss that feature. Normally mine lives on my trailer but we were going into the desert and I didn't want to tow. The rain finished that idea.... :)

Albynsw likes this.
  4. Albynsw

Ok
    I know the type you mean
    The hard shell ones are a fair bit heavier than what you have as well, about 60kg from memory

5. mikehzz

And they aren't cheap either :eek:

Albynsw likes this.
  6. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Noticed Kings just started selling an affordable clam shell, no idea how good it is.

For me clam shell is the only way to go for ease of setup

80lover96gxl, Albynsw and mikehzz like this.
  7. Albynsw

Price is good, 320gsm canvas is good the negative for me is 75kg, windows are small and a bit tight internally
    Would love to have a closer look at one thought, looks better than a lot of the other Chinese import versions

8. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

Anyone know much about the autohome Columbus clam shell?

9. mikehzz

I know one guy that has one but I haven't seen him for a few years. I've just shot him an email.

10. Gavo

Appreciate it. :D

11. Gavo

Well I got my hands on one over weekend, good price, essentially brand new condition. .

Now to modify my rack to fit.

mikehzz and Albynsw like this.
  12. Albynsw

Nice one Gavo, interested to see what you think

13. Gavo

Time will tell.
    This one is one of the smallest. Which was main draw to it. The 76 is pretty tall and skinny without adding a massive pod on top.
    Picked it up with work Ute, as my rack is only 1200mm wide.
    Thinking I'm going to cut top off rack, leaving around 300mm at back for little bit of fire wood.
    20171014_170803.jpg
    received_10154735766042251.jpeg 20171017_191134.png

14. Albynsw

43kg, that is nice and light too :cool:

15. mac_man_luke

what length canopy is that on your work ute? 1800mm?

16. Gavo

Hahaha I don't know. I'll grab the tape out tomorrow and have a measure....
    Funny how you don't take any interest in work ute. Haven't even opened bonnet yet.

17. mac_man_luke

haha
    thanks, tent seems to fit nicely on it and im always trying to visualise canopy sizes for my eventual built

80lover96gxl likes this.
  18. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Nice score Gavo, will the meet its first test run ?
    Will be interested on your thoughts once you had used it.

19. mikehzz

My friend hasn't replied to the email.
    I noticed on the weekend at the 4wd show that the latest fashion is to chop the roof off and put an Alucab on like the Andrew St Pierre White Troopy build. They were everywhere.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  20. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

We have a wind up hard top camper on top of a lift off camping pod . The wind up part is reasonably easy (but gets caught when lowering it so you have to have some one hold the top level with the base and tuck the sides in . After seeing the Kings Gas strut version my ebay special is second rate.
    But we have never been wet , so I guess that's a plus.

80lover96gxl likes this.