Change background image

Cheap android gps Device

Discussion in 'GPS Talk' started by mauriceb, May 4, 2017.

1. Cyberess

Cyberess Active Member

Been using Tablet holder from Jaycar for quite some time, it works great both with both 8" and 10" tablets and cost just below $40.
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/tablet-holder-with-heavy-duty-suction-mount/p/HS9036

The only issue I have had with them, is that after 18 months on the windscreen and in the hot Darwin sun, the suction cup goes brittle and breaks, still you people that live in the southeast, probably will never have this issue :p

Some old pictures from my last vehicle of the Jaycar tablet hloder in use -
    tablet-holder-mahindra-jaycar01.jpg
    tablet-holder-mahindra-jaycar02.jpg
    A handy hint if you want the suction cup to stick like mad, just spray some glass cleaner on the suction cup then place straight on the windscreen
    Screen-Cleanerl.jpeg

Cheers

tankbloke and Zamunda like this.
  2. markortink

markortink New Member

Just be careful because the Lenovo is a 7inch tablet, so make sure the mount can contract to that. Cheers

3. markortink

markortink New Member

I gave up on getting mud maps onto SD card. Fortunately it does fit on the Lenovo with not much left over.
    I have several other mapping products installed and since they can use the SD card things work.

4. Boots33

Boots33 New Member

I use OsmAnd on my tablet and have found it to be a good offline map app. It uses Open Street Map data and usually gives great detail when off road. The added bonus of using OSM is if you are in an area that has trails that aren't yet mapped you can add them in yourself.
    I added the camp areas to Kwiambal National Park and also Clarence River Wilderness Lodge.

5. Cyberess

Cyberess Active Member

Oops -- I was meant to say meant to 7" to 10" -- the pictures are of a old 7" Nexus Tablet in the tablet holder ;)
    As for a app, try "Locus Map Pro" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro and http://www.locusmap.eu/ the cost is AU$8.99
    What nice about "Locus Map Pro" it has
    • 250K Geoscience Raster maps available to download free of charge from with the App
    • Has the excellent OSM (Open Street Maps) from within it's store, with Contour Lines and Hill Shading and they can be offlined
    • Can add other maps sources, and those can be offlined as well
    • Use your own maps -- I have converted the old Raster Geoscience Natmaps 100K of the NT working
    • Can offline Satellite with a bit of tweeking
    • I believe it's the highest rated mapping app from the Google Store.
    • Excellent Track Recording features.
    I can go on all day about Locus Maps Pro :D and I reckon it's makes Mud Maps and Hema Maps look rather average -- Yeah I have them all installed, and Locus Pro is my favourite, if you can't tell.

6. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

As far as i know Hema 4wd is only for IOS, correct me if wrong . Android is Hema explorer ,very similar with less maps , no a bad app but i prefer Ozi . Hema explorer allows you to download and store satellite tiles maps which is a plus. I have never had a problem with the 90mm suction Ebay china windscreen mounts. I never let them hang and flop around . Fit them so the base of the Tab touches the dash to take the weight under a strip of thin dense foam

7. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

Yes OSM is a great map i run those maps on Garmin nuvi's beside Oziexplorer. Surprising how it contain many recent tracks not found on the older maps.

8. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Hema 4wd is actually Memory Map for IOS except that they also package the HEMA maps where as Memory Map is free then you buy the maps. Memory Map is also available for Android, PC and Apple Mac. So you can get the same as Hema 4wd maps on any of these platforms. Even better you get 2 licences for HEMA and you can add 250k topo for free. Plus Westprint, plus vic topo 25k etc

9. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

10. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

I set the Country as Australia & the settings were fixed.
    Settings - Start Configuration Wizard (Or Regional in Settings)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

12. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

13. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

Good reading and a lot of time spent on all your info. May I add and not sure if you realise that you can import .gpx files into Ozi Android from its operation menu. You can also download Ozitrackconverter for free from Google play .This will convert most files and place them in the same folder you converted from. If you import a .gpx that contains tracks and w/p's you have the option in the operation menu to unload either if you find the screen to clustered.

billolga likes this.
  14. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

I will have to look into that Maurice. The only option I saw was to load waypoints from a gpx. Nothing for tracks.

15. Zamunda

Zamunda Member

Have to admit maps in a $90 Lenovo tablet is the best value for money gadget.
    For off-road driving I download Hema maps from the app store ($39.99) and for street navigation I have Google maps (works on gps, no need for wifi ). That's $140!!

Pic below - Lenovo Tablet on the left, next to my $600 VMS (wasn't worth the money spent). The VMS is rather old and on it's last legs, so will keep the VMS on the dash until it dies a natural death.

Looks pretty cool having two "gadgets" :D

@Cyberess Got the windscreen bracket from Jaycar. Thanks for that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    sharkcaver likes this.
  16. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

Try, 'Here we go maps' or CoPilot or other from Google play for street Navigation both have the ability of downloading maps as you wouldn't always have data reception.

Zamunda likes this.
  17. Zamunda

Zamunda Member

@mauriceb

Thanks heaps mate. Beers on me when our paths cross one day :)

mauriceb likes this.