Change background image

Camping Stove Options

Discussion in 'Camping Equipment' started by Biesel, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Biesel

Biesel Member

We have a 3 week trip planned and are considering upgrading or replacing our stove.

Currently have a $15 butane single burner; this is our second one - first one I lent to my brother *never to be returned..... which is a shame for us because it was super efficient - and its replacement isn't! Thus the contemplation to

1. replace with another butane burner

a. another Big W cheapy
    b. branded version?

or

2. replace with a 2 burner LPG stove

*We already have a 2L LPG bottle

Questions:

Efficiency of LPG 2 burner vs butane burner?
    Are the LPG burners good value cooking time?
    is LPG generally available at outback NSW fuel stations?
    Best LPG burner option?
    Avoid ones with igniters or no?
    Am I better off with a 12pack of butane (or two) and a cheapy stove?

We cook from 1 frypan and occasionally would like to cook some rice in a billy or boil water for the washing up or cuppa at the same time

opinions and experience welcome

2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

You cannot beat the Coleman 533 duel fuel for a single burner, I take it away in a day box.. I waited till Rays had 30% off...

[​IMG]

Features

Fully adjustable cooking powerCompact, easy to store and carryBoils a litre of water in 3 minutesEquipped with one 10,500 BTU burnerBurn time (approx): 1.75hrs ( high)Operates on Coleman® Fuel or unleaded petrol

The Coleman Sportster Dual Fuel is a compact single burner dual fuel stove which runs on either shellite or unleaded fuel. Easy and safe to use with convenient fuel options.

Goodluck

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. FODFA

FODFA New Member

have a look at dual fuel stoves as well. we have a 2 burner Coleman that we have used for eons. They run on shellite or ULP. If we take a jerry full of fuel away on a 2 month trip we come home with fuel left and don't need to buy any on our travels.

Cheers Andrew

4. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

The 2 burner butane cookers are pretty good to, come with their own carry case and a hot plate that sits accross the 2 burners. The plate is quite flimsy tho so replacement with a cast iron one is the go, anaconda and bcf had then on sale the other day for $40.

5. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

Big W cheapies - have three in the Camper Trailer currently and a couple of 4packs of gas. - Use nothing else now, ditched the LPG bottle ( they are a PITA on the Ferry to Tassie :()

Canisters available EVERYWHERE !!!! :D ( Bunnings / Masters and just about every little camping and general store in back of nowhere.

Cheap , great heat - if they "freeze up" and go slow - swap the canisters and shake the cold one or drop it into warm water.

Expendable / easy replaceable / easy to pack & store in a milk crate / built in ignition.

Easy to pull out for that quick cuppa. ( another one in the Cuppa tub :D)

And............ if you are a shooter the domed end of the empty canister laid on its side makes an excellent target for checking the sighting in your rifle :D which then makes them easier to crush ;)

Cheers

6. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

There was another incident near Perth recently regarding a butane canister exploding. This injured 3 adults and a child. After this one I threw my old cheapie butane stove in the bin.

I think most of these are only rated to 50°c? Wouldn't take much to exceed that when left in the car in summer for an hour. Personally I think they should be banned with the amount of incidents on various forums that are cropping up.

I also don't really like carrying LPG and am thinking of changing out to one of the dual fuel stoves, Coleman etc. Much safer to transport Shellite/Unleaded than Gas, easier to obtain in out of the way places also.

7. cookie64

cookie64 4x4 Earth Contributer

I haven't heard about them exploding at all so would be keen as to where to read about the incidents, be interested in where they stored them as I have them in our drawers not in sunlight.

I've been carrying 2 of the single burners for quite a few years now, when they cost about $50.00 each, and have taken them everywhere. We sometimes use the frying pans on coals next to the campfire for cooking so we conserve the LPG canisters.

May reconsider this if there is evidence of danger

So far as canisters buy them everywhere, we always stock up when we can but prefer the blue ISO cans as they seem to have better heat. Beware they are bloody expensive in Birdsville.

cheers

8. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

No Cookies | Perth Now

Worth a look , there is a comment of a "spare" container - may have been too close to the flame so to speak. - maybe Human error, not the fault of the equipment if it was put too close

Here is a US report - worth a look also

http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/103082/cooking.pdf

9. ross and cher

ross and cher New Member

The US report is well worth a read ..., thanks Chris

10. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

At the 4by show in Melbourne recently, I spoke with a bloke who was manning a site.
    He said he had a butane burner going with a kettle on top. It suddenly exploded and the kettle took off. There were people around including kids and he could not tell me how it happened. Maybe the cannister was not locked in properly.
    I now use one however I am very careful to ensure nothing is damaged and everything is locked in properly.
    The other thing is to use it in a safe and open area, probably outside tents, vans, etc.
    Just don't get to complacent and that goes for anything.
    At Bendleby my regulator on a 9kg bottle at front of van failed first day in. Luckily I always check for leaks, smell of gas etc. when I turn anything on. Replacing it back home I could see how badly rusted, worn it was and why it leaked. 9kg bottle leaking on a van running gas fridge could have been a disaster.

11. cookie64

Having a brief read it would appear that user error seems to be the most likely scenarion with respect to the insertion of the cans where they do not seat correctly or using oversize cookware.

As I said before we have used them numerous times and indeed have had circumstances where the canister doesn't fit 100% so I release and reinsert ensuring a good fit and never had issues - touch wood.

Have had a couple of incidents with LPG bottles, one where the fitting at the bottle was leaking and another where a fairly new gas line between the stove & bottle literally blew
    a hole and gas spat out everywhere - luckily none of us smoke.

cheers

12. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

It only has to happen once... Unfortunatly you don't dictate the terms if/when it happens.. I'VE read in the past on forums warning about these units..

Look at the Coleman Duel Fuel 533 as a start, a few people have bought them after seeing mine in action...

Goodluck

13. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Just as a matter of interest.
    I have a companion two burner gas stove. It has a pull down toaster wire on the left burner and on the rear of the lid a pull out small hot plate and handle to fit on one of the two burners. The hose is original, not perished and all brass connections also are in good condition. I have always kept it dry and protected from the weather, no matter where I went. The gas tank was an oval round bubble shape and I traded it a year ago with gas still in it. Both the stove and the gas tank were around forty five years old.
    I bought a new 2kg gas tank and the stove is still in good nick.
    I have seen a few stoves and tanks left lying in all weather and they looked pretty dodgy. Apart from the scratches through constant packing and travelling the stove, hose and fittings are good.
    I bought a single butane but find it a nuisance if you want to cook and boil at the same time. The butane gas bottles do worry me a bit.

14. cookie64

Disagree, any device used incorrectly may hurt you

if you don't insert the cans correctly then your gunna get hurt it is up to you to ensure whatever device you are using you take all care to ensure it is being used correctly including insretion of the gas canister.

I would say that more people are burnt with petrol than gas given that the gas is in a contained state only being allowed out upon depression of the outlet, petrol needs to be poured from one vessel to another.

Not disagreeing with the Coleman unit as I have seen a few in action, they just doesn't suit our vehicle pack, I have had a 3 burner Coleman Gas Stove, but the storage of a largish gas bottle or in the case of fuel, an unleaded fuel container which cannot be taken into some aboriginal areas unless it will accept Opal.

cheers

15. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

As mentioned thw dual fuels are awesome. They are expensive and shellite isn't free. However shellite is readily available and easy to carry. No matter temperature or altitude (where butane fails) dual fuel burns well. Little bit fiddly to get hang off but I swear by mine.

The little butane are cheap an easy though. Stick a can in your swag on cold nights if you want a cuppa in morning. burn much better when it's not freezing.

No man ever cut himself bearding!

Toddyh likes this.
  16. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

17. ross and cher

ross and cher New Member

Big deal up here a night or two ago, a spray can of oil blew up on a bbq .... should we ban them to or just realise that sitting them on a bbq isnt good practice, .... no matter how over engineered the product, human nature will outsmart it, and then we will lie to claim insurance ..... so call me cynical

18. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

You must have it down pat mate (lighting) you still have your beard... :D;)

19. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

When it comes to propane I prefer the small green canisters....

Does that include shellite or white spirit in Aboriginal areas..

20. peterfermtech

peterfermtech Well-Known Member

I have a dual fuel msr unit for hiking and snow camping, a disposable propane hiking style burner for the boat, an LPG for camping in cold weather but in warm weather the butane is so easy. However if I was going camping for 3 weeks I would be looking at taking LPG or dual fuel

regards