Change background image

Camper trailer solar and battery upgrade for a freezer

Discussion in 'Camping Trailers' started by Aaron Schubert, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Hey guys,

Figured I'd share the most recent change to our soft floor camper trailer, as I spent many, many hours reading up on options, deciding how to do it and buying the required gear. Hopefully it saves someone a bit of time!

In essence, we purchased a 55L freezer for the camper trailer, and had to install 270Ah of batteries and 400W of solar to keep up. The panels are run from a Victron MPPT regulator and are permanently mounted.

The freezer running at -15 to - 18 pulls about 650 - 1000 watts over 24 hours, which is 50 - 80 amps. In other words, a lot of power!

It works brilliantly, with the batteries fully charged by 11 - 1PM ever day. I don't have to worry about moving panels around either, which is fantastic. We are off to Steep Point shortly, and will give it a real workout over 9 days.

I wrote a detailed post about everything if you want more detail - Our Camper Trailer electrical and solar upgrade.

Enjoy
    Aaron

Attached Files:

2. Bigfish1

Bigfish1 New Member

What sort of 55 litre fridge pulls 50-80 amps a day. I used a 60 litre engel in the top end wet season for many years and it only pulled 40 amps/day at best... I now run a 47 and a 40 litre with 2 x 120 amp batteries and 120 watt panel. all good. Have you checked the fridges connections are clean and not causing a high resistence joint? Seems awfully high amp usage.

komaterpillar likes this.
  3. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

It's running as a freezer mate. That's normal consumption for most 12V freezers at that temperature - negative 18 degrees. As a fridge it probably uses about 25 - 30 amps a day.

Aaron

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Cruiser John and barcher like this.
  5. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

If you are not freezing stuff to store for 3 months or more, you don't need anywhere near -18 degrees temperature. That will save you a hell of a lot of power. I understand you will be mainly targeting fillets, but I would just vac pack them, freeze at -7 to -10 or so and put them into deep freeze once back at home. Just my opinion like.

6. Cruiser John

Cruiser John Member

7. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

You dont need to run it at -18 to be a freezer, we run ours at about -5 with 28-30 degree ambient days and nothing thaws out, why burn up amps when you don't have to.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    I found this site useful too in trying to explain why a professionally designed and built system failed to provide enough power: https://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Electrics/Solar.aspx

9. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

The standard for keeping food frozen is -18. I'm sure you can run them much lower than that, and we would have too in the past when we used our setup as a fridge/freezer combination.

We are going to be putting fresh fillets of fish in ours, so want them to freeze as quickly as possible and stay at -18 to get maximum longevity.

Aaron

10. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

The standard for keeping food for 3 months or more is -18. For those of us travelling, replenishing food stocks on a fortnightly or even monthly basis, -18 is overkill. Massive overkill and power hungry.

I had this argument before I left for a month trip on the CSR on this forum last year. I was not running a freezer at all and proved the point, my vac packed chicken (white meat is the worst scenario), lasted the 4 weeks and I didn't get sick. No freezer at all.

Like I said, I understand your needs and getting those fillets frozen quicker is better. But I still argue that at -7 to -10, vac packed, your fillets will be fine.

Anyway, best you have a great trip to Steep. I look forward with envy your report when you return.

11. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

Aaron, the FDA AND Foodsafe Australia state that to keep frozen food safe the freezer should be kept at 0 degrees or lower