Change background image

Camp Showers

Discussion in 'Camping Equipment' started by 80lover96gxl, May 21, 2016.

1. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I'm sure at times I will wish for it, but not a lot of water for most of the trip so she'll just have to toughen up a bit (and possibly pong for a couple of days) When I get back I'll let all know whether I survived the ordeal, (not the trip but the missus)

Col.

99pc chimpanzee likes this.
  2. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

I've heard of numerous issues with the colemans and aquacubes over the years. I wouldn't have one. I reckon the joolca and other types of instantaneous HWS would be the ducks nuts.....except for the water usage (I guess you could use a tub and recycle that easy enough). Solar bags with a top up of hot water from the stove if required is pretty simple. I go even simpler again. A $10 garden sprayer with a shower rose fitted on the end is truly awesome if you are on a quest to conserve water. Again, a top up with some water off the stove/fire and I can shower the whole family in only 5l of water. The PITA of that is when the pressure dies and you have soap in your eyes, trying to pump some pressure back into it again.

Love that Joocla vid. The guy is a natural :eek:

Attached Files:

80lover96gxl and 99pc chimpanzee like this.
  3. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Active Member

Thats genius!and it can handle warm water?Oh no worries i see that it does,Theres a joolca review on you tube and by memory the guy showers with 8.5ltrs not to bad i thought.Your idea of a tub is good,stand in a rectangular tray/tub and recycle/pump from it,great suggestion mate.
    Yeah the joolca guy,i kinda picked that one on purpose:D

BIGCOL likes this.
  4. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

Warm water, no problem. Hot water may be an issue, but I've never tried it. The garden sprayer also doubles as an emergency spinifex fire fighting device if needed. Have a look at SteveMc181's thread on here about his on board shower set up. He uses a pop up tub to recycle that water to minimise usage. Certainly not an inexpensive solution, but it would have to be the best darn bush shower one could ever have. I was offered to use it once, but when I saw him emerge from showering in a mankiki, I said fark that :confused:

I've been using the garden sprayer for years. Then Hozelok got into the game and produced:
    http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/spraying/portashower/

Anaconda was the agent and I grabbed one. It lives in my camper. About $50 to purchase, Anaconda later gave the agency away and I haven't been able to find another one for those sort of prices since. Over East without freight it can be done, but freight to the West kills the deal.

99pc chimpanzee and stevemc181 like this.
  5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I must say I was A Coleman fan for many years, you used to drop Coleman stuff off at Rays if there was an issue for the Rep to inspect when he dropped in, they'd usually fix without receipt etc.. Those days are gone now and as my Coleman stuff is failing I'm replacing with other brands names, been waiting for a replacement water pump for over 6 months now for the shower, they did say after July when emailed so they maybe back in stock, if not I'll buy a Joolca, throw the Coleman out. very disappointed in this legendary company, they have been going down hill in this country for years... A Primus burner will replace my Coleman burner next...

6. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

99pc chimpanzee and sharkcaver like this.
  7. Marck

Marck Active Member

I had the jocoola unit until I sold my camper. Great great little unit no special gas canisters I just had it hooked to a gas bottle. Had a couple of c batteries for the ignition. It was brilliant they only limitation you have is the amount of water you want to carry. I used a pelican case to store and transport it.

8. Jt76

Jt76 New Member

I also have the Joolca unit, been using it for 12 months very happy with it!

Swaggie and 99pc chimpanzee like this.
  9. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

Bahahaha, scarred for life!
    I've since removed the shower from the Pajero, but will probably set it all up with the glind etc in the Patrol this weekend. We have a 6 week trip coming up in a couple of weeks time, so a good bush shower will be great. I've also lashed out this time and bough the Joolca ensuite tent (I was hoping they would change colours, but alas, bright blue it is!) I also bought the Joolca ensuite plumbing as it can be left in place when the tent is folded, this should be fast and easy to set up.

The link to the Pajero set up is here http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/bullbar-mounted-shower.39494/ Probably the best part about this glind setup is the thermostatic mixing valve I have installed, works bloody great for maintaining the temp when you switch the water on and off.

10. 99pc chimpanzee

Bought the joolca,if others are keen at the minute,its hard to find though once you have code that dont matter. On ebay right now 10p.c off aussie sellers in certain categories which includes the joolca listings,that makes it $386.10,If got ebay account and unfamiliar with how discounts work- use the code 'COZZIE" on the checkout page down the bottom in the promo/coupon box then click the blue 'apply' box and it will change the price automatically,then you can pay.DONT pay until you have applied the code!!!!.
    Dont know how long promo is for it doesnt say,they end them randomly and this one is well hidden,lol.
    Thanks for feedback and ideas,a close second was the sprayer,i love the ingenuity of that :).

Swaggie and Waza like this.
  11. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

For my remote trip coming up (just the car) I have just purchased a Nylex 8 litre priming spray bottle. With absolutely everything it cost me $31.20
    There were 5 litre ones but I wasn't sure how quick you would go through the water so bought the bigger one. I filled it basically to half, primed the bottle (just pump the handle about 20 times) and using the supplied handle/spray head (with the tip turned to fine spray) let rip.
    At just after 6 minutes I noticed the volume of water being sprayed starting to lessen. To increase that I just did 2 or 3 more pumps and the pressure was back up.
    I then stopped it (after 7 minutes) as it was a test run to see how much water would be used over what time. At that stage it had used roughly 3 litres of water. Now it wasn't Niagra Falls, but by diminishing the spread of the spray at the nozzlel you can make it come out a bit quicker. If you were out in the desert it would be absolutely perfect to give you a rinse off and for me/us a full bottle would do for two showers.
    I would warm the water up using my solar water bags (top up the temp from a kettle if required) and away you would go and possibly no more pong for a couple of days at least!!!
    My set up will be to put a pole in the ground, I have one with a pointy end so I can hammer that into the ground, adjust the height to whatever then clip the shower head to that and Bobs your uncle.
    I will report back in time to tell you how it went out in the scrub.
    Col.

Albynsw, Bomber2012 and tankbloke like this.
  12. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

After 4 days its not smell, its called bouquet. You folks have no class.

13. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I've got class, I didn't use the word smell, I said "Pong" Ha!

Sweet smelling Col, at the moment.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  14. 99pc chimpanzee

When the shower in a can won't Cover the pissy,sweaty scrotum stench it's time to pull over,by this time any method will do