Change background image

Brindabellas/long plain track info

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by aids84, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM.

1. aids84

aids84 Member

Hi all

Planning a few nights around this area on the weekend and just after some info regarding which tracks are accessible. The plan is to spend friday night at McIntyres Hut and then head south to Blue Waterholes on saturday. I've got a couple of different map sources which are giving me conflicting info regarding Mcleods Spur firetrail. Is this open to the public? And is the Blue Waterholes camping area accessible off long plain road or do you have to access from the south?

I'm planning on camping sunday night somewhere near Blowering Dam, are there any recommendations for where to camp or better alternatives altogether? I've never been to the area so not sure if there are many gated off tracks or if everything is pretty well open.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:43 AM
  2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

The gates are open from the brindabella road. If you go throuh broken cart it is very boggy.

Parks are recommending you go via boundary road, then onto long plain...pleasant drive, we did it the other week and hiked out to the waterfall

Call tumut visitor centre they can email you a pdf mud map with the route on.

to the south you can get out via Currango homestead and the spillway at tantagara back to the alpine way and adaminaby

Cheers Smitty

3. aids84

aids84 Member

Can you drive onto Long Plain road from the Northern end? From Brindabella Road through Crace Lane then onto Long Plain Road? Six maps is showing locked gates all over the place

4. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

Crace lane goes into private property and is permanently locked. Go further along Brindabella road, turn off onto boundary rd, then powerline rd, Bramina rd, back onto boundary rd then broken cart trail, onto long plain road, then about 8km to blue waterholes road.

5. aids84

aids84 Member

Aah ok thanks that is a great help. Hoping to get a rooftop map somewhere before we setup camp on the first night, that should make it much easier to sort out which tracks can be used and which ones go through private property etc.

Is the Blue Waterhole Trail open from Long Plain Road down to the campsite, there is a locked gate shown at the top of the descent down towards the Coolamine Homestead? Do you have to come in from the south via Port Phillip Trail and Pockets Saddle road?

6. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

7. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Sent you a pm with my track from google...

8. aids84

aids84 Member

BIGCOL likes this.
  9. barcher

BIGCOL has this one covered. If you're at blue waterholes you have to go the stroll down Clarke gorge and onto the waterfall, you'll get your feet wet but well worth it. A walk west will take you to Murray cave. No lights or concrete path in here so sturdy shoes and good torches are needed to go the 200 metres of cave. Think I'd be content with 2 nights at blue waterholes or the nearby coolamine mtn campground. Can be a bit cold at night there though so take warm clothes.

aids84 and BIGCOL like this.
  10. barcher

More pics of blue waterholes. IMG_7223 (Medium).JPG P4060050 (Medium).JPG P4060062 (Medium).JPG PA240038 (Medium).JPG PA240068.JPG PA250018 (Medium).JPG RIMG1022 (Medium).JPG RIMG1025 (Medium).JPG RIMG1026 (Medium).JPG RIMG1028 (Medium).JPG RIMG1035 (Medium).JPG

Triton14 and aids84 like this.