Change background image

Arb or Engel

Discussion in 'Camping Equipment' started by robert walker, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM.

1. robert walker

robert walker New Member

Hi
    To ask or not to ask?, arb or Engel fridge/freezer
    size is not the question.but had any problems with them
    and how was the service,repair and warranty.
    Thanks for the help.
    Rob

2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Happy with my EvaKool. Five year warranty.
    Tink

Swaggie and robert walker like this.
  3. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

Hahahaha here we go

Ford or Holden, Toyota vs Nissan.

My advice, buy which ever one suits your needs and fits your space. I don't believe one is going to be hugely better then others.

Those with Waecos will say get them, same goes for the cheaper Chinese copies.

4. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Yep as Gavo said
    You are not going to get a black and white answer for your question and all brands have an issue at some point
    If you are buying in that price bracket I would go for the one that suits your situation best and represents best value for money and warranty.
    An important thing to consider is which way the lid opens as in from end or side and which side or end, also how accessible the control panel will be with how you mount it in your vehicle
    I have two fridges, one with an end opening,the other side and depending on which touring setup I am using as to which fridge works best for me.

80lover96gxl and robert walker like this.
  5. muzza22au

muzza22au Well-Known Member

All I will say is avoid some of the cheap chinese ones, there have been reports of some catching fire etc so maybe do some research regarding those fridges. As for the two you mention I believe both work great and will suit your needs.

robert walker likes this.
  6. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Some great answers already. Engel have the ultimate reputation, and a price to go with it. I've been happy with my Evakool, and the other more reputable brands are Waeco and National Luna. ARB are relatively new in the game of 12V fridges, but they've got some good reviews.

Engel have their own patented compressor, and most other brands run the Danfoss compressor, with the cheaper ones using copies.

Just to confuse you a little more, Kickass have recently released a few that look pretty good, with a 5 year warranty. http://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/kickass-71l-12v-dual-zone-camping-fridge-freezer-w/KA-75DX

On another note, electrical consumption is important; and 12V freezers use a lot of power!

Aaron

7. unko84

unko84 Active Member

a little tip the arb is longer and deaper, the engel is higher and shallower in the 60 l range

80lover96gxl, robert walker and GaryM like this.
  8. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Definetly go Toyota and engel

Jaye, 80lover96gxl, oldlux and 5 others like this.
  9. GaryM

GaryM Active Member

GME and Toyo OPAT... oh wait, wrong thread
    Any idea if the new Waeco CFX range onward are a Danfoss copy? I know they claim to have moved away from the Chinese SECOM made Danfoss with the CFX range, and the newer more heavily Dometic branded versions are said to have Waecos own compressor. But I assume they didnt reinvent it???

10. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Not sure mate. I'll do some digging

Aaron

GaryM likes this.
  11. robert walker

robert walker New Member

Thanks, a lot to think about,and yes like holden ford etc
    Thanks again
    Rob.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM
  12. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I'm pretty sure ARB had issues with hinges etc , Personally answering your question id go the Engel..

I've had an Evakool for over 10 years it hasn't missed a beat, there a lot lighter than the Engels. Having it coverted to digital display shortly but the newer models already have it...

GaryM and robert walker like this.
  13. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

14. GaryM

GaryM Active Member

As a few have said, Evakool are hard to beat. They have Aussie made options, and cheaper than Engel and ARB for size and versatility like dual zone. If I didnt get a ridiculously good deal on a Waeco, its the way I would have gone. 40lt, under $500 with cover.

These are the imported Evakools. Not to be confused with the Aussie made Evakool which is their awesome fiberglass esky with fridge workings on it.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  15. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

Waeco have been using all sorts of compressors over the years. From Danfoss/Secop to Wanbao and chinese made copies, to their own branded compressor (which I read somewhere they bought out a chinese manufacturing facility to make them)

The CFX range moved over to their own branded compressor. And yep, it will be a Danfoss copy. However, it also comes with their variable speed controller module VMSO II, which from field testing I have done makes this one very efficient fridge.

The 50L CFX being larger and slightly more efficient than the engel MT45.

The CFX has become my weapon of choice due to it being larger, with divided compartments and not having to pull everything out to get that bit, buried on the bottom of that basic engel box with shitty $2 handles.

My suggestion to the OP, ARB or engel??

Get the one whose internals suit you better and provides the best bang for buck. The ARB 47 and 78 are also very power efficient like the engel and to my mind, provide a better internal layout. Both engel and ARB are end opening lids. The other feature of the danfoss powered arb is low battery cutoff (if that's your thing). The engel will happily suck every spare electron a battery could provide. I've seen "stories" of engels still running with battery voltage around 7V:eek:

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  16. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Just to throw in more confusion, i have the ol arb badged engel. Its been great for the last 10yrs now and hopefully for the next 10.

As said, buy what ever suits your requirements and budget. Their a long term purchase so avoid the cheaper knock off's , buy once, and be a happy camper for yrs to come.

17. Georgie Kyro

Georgie Kyro Active Member

I was in your shoes about 3 years ago.

I was so keen on buying a Waco as I just could not justify the extra quid on something like the Engel that does the same thing as something cheaper...

Then my mate sent me a picture of his pops 43 year old Engel that's still sitting in the back of his pops 70 series rig which has been running effortlessly every single day In the direct Darwin sun...

The thing looks as old as his grand dad and looks like it's got more hits than elvis...

It was a no brainer for me when I saw that...

So I bought the new 60 litre Engel legacy edition...
    Have never looked back.

Best of luck with ot

Poppa, 80lover96gxl and Bomber2012 like this.
  18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

I can relate to Georgie's story.
    Fifteen years ago I went through the same scenario - research, question, look at brochures - you know the story. Narrowed it down to Engel and a couple of other brands so I took the info to the missus and gave her the run-down on the merits of each fridge.
    She cuts me short and says: All the time you have spent waffling on there is one thing that keeps coming up each time you talk about this fridge or that fridge - you keep saying "they reckon it is as good as an Engel".
    She then adds: Sweetie (not really but it sounds better than what she really said) just get the damn Engel.

I hate the thing!! I will say that again - I hate the Engel!! For fifteen years I have had nothing but - "See, aren't you glad I told you to get the Engel".

You can't kill them (the Engel I mean), you can't sell them (nobody will believe you are stupid enough to sell one of your own so therefore it must be stolen) and you can't break 'em.

Don't ask your missus for comments though.

19. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

Well written @Poppa and my sentiments too. You mess around, get something cheaper and spend the rest of your life justifying it to you friends over a warm beer or just bite the bullet and do it right the first time. As poppa eluded to, Engle is the bench mark that the rest aspire to reach.

20. Milpool

Milpool New Member

I think I'm swaying towards an engel after some serious thinking. Where does everyone buy their Engel stuff from?