Change background image

Air Mattress Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Camping Equipment' started by 99pc chimpanzee, Jul 9, 2017.

1. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Active Member

Hi All,have an air mattress and during the winter months when it gets below 5degrees ish,(dont laugh)-i get a wet patch between the mattress and the sleeping bag.Its due to condensation i believe as the mattress absorbs the outside air and ground temperature and with my bodyheat you get dampness.They become like sleeping on a slab of ice at times,for me though they are so comfy and good for backs so i persist.
    i found that with a double height one this is reduced somewhat and has the bonus of being easy to get out of.
    Anyone else found this problem and fixed it?I have tried protector with sheet(made it worse)right now i use an old sleeping bag as an underlay which gets wet underneath also but better.Its a pain to try and dry during the day.
    Foam might be the go,something that breathes a bit,any ideas or success stories
    Thanks.

2. Outrage

Outrage 4x4 Earth Contributer

I put a blanket on the floor level and put the mattress on that, never had an issue. Except for a little bit of leaking through the tent by touching the canvas.

99pc chimpanzee likes this.
  3. Hoyks

Hoyks New Member

Self inflating air mattress, or the old blow up type?
    The blow up ones were bad for it as the air could freely circulate in the bladders and wick heat away from you allowing the warm moist air from your body to condense, leaving damp cold spots. Self inflating are full of foam, so they create tiny air pockets that warm up insulate you. Try a closed cell foam camping mattress (or a 'yoga mat', they are generally cheaper and basically the same) on top of the current mattress.

Throwing a light blanket over the top of the sleeping bag can help reduce the air circulation and condensation around your body too.

I get it in my roof top tent under the 50mm foam which is on an aluminium base. But on top of the foam and cotton cover its warm and dry.

99pc chimpanzee and tankbloke like this.
  4. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Try putting one of those silver insulating blankets under the matteress, like the ones used by emergency services to help warm people in servere chill situations.

I use one under the matteress in my swag, helps keep the cold penertrating thru the mat and into you.

Hard to beat a good self inflating mat tho to be honest.

99pc chimpanzee and Bomber2012 like this.
  5. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

A sheet of Sarking paper (silver sheet thats rapt around a house) under your bedding works well .

99pc chimpanzee and 80lover96gxl like this.
  6. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Active Member

I use one of these in my swag:
    https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-lxw-camping-mat

I've not had a problem with it in cold weather (I've had ice on the outside of my swag, and on the inside... and only had a wool doona on me) as it's a foam and air mat; if you look at the specification it's got an R value of 9.5; a foam mat like the yoga mat mentioned might have an R value of 4 if you're getting one over 20mm thick. I can adjust the hardness (often set it too hard at the beginning of the night, but as the air cools it softens up) to suit, and it weighs nothing and the swag isn't much bulkier than normal. Just make sure you have enough clearance for it in the swag (ie top of mat to underside of swag - my Burke and Wills swag is a bit tight when I lie on my side!)

When I did lightweight backpacking, I used to use a 3/4 length thermarest and a sheet of heat reflector from behind a household radiator for under my legs - my logic being that my torso needed the comfortable bit, my legs didn't.

barcher and 99pc chimpanzee like this.
  7. 99pc chimpanzee

Thanks for great suggestions, seems obvious to me know to stop the cold from the bottom.yes it's the blow up type.
    Gunna start with putting the old sleeping bag underneath first,if that don't work go with the foil option/foam combo

8. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favour. Chuck that blow up mattress as far away as you can. You can never stop them getting cold. Cold comes in the sides as well as underneath. As they cool they deflate too.
    Get a self inflating one. You'll never regret it.

9. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

What he said^^^^^

muc the truck, boobook and Bomber2012 like this.
  10. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

I am selling two of the self inflating mats if you want to upgrade :)

11. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

I'm with Paddler Ed here. Have had a few self inflating mats and they're all warm but the exped is easy to roll up and the packed up size is about a quarter of the cheaper ones. We would have spent 150 nights on ours and they still look like new.

99pc chimpanzee and 80lover96gxl like this.
  12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Iv got a NEMO COSMO 30 XL
    from memory it's rated to -10c
    Rolls up small is light weight and
    Has In Build foot pump.

But not the cheapest unfortunetly

99pc chimpanzee and barcher like this.
  13. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

I'm happy to pay a lot for a good nights sleep.

phs likes this.
  14. phs

phs Well-Known Member

barcher and Albynsw like this.
  15. 99pc chimpanzee

:)...Not quite there yet,have gone down the ebay/china route for a cheap fix all being well.A foam mat with aluminium top and bottom.If i can stop the cold from bottom that might just be enough even with absorption from sides.
    Have looked at the self inflating types on Snowys and read that people other than those with the $339.00 EXped have trouble rolling/packing them up and are over a metre long.The other exped one above packs really small at 28cms x18cms which is awesome and not quite such a breathtaking price.
    Cant argue with 54, 5 star reviews for the $$$ exped though-mine is comfy to lie on,so i will give a few less costly solutions a crack b4 moving on.

barcher likes this.
  16. Marck

Marck Active Member

Anaconda have big discounts at the moment of the self inflators.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I used to use self inflators but now Expeds. Come in a variety of types but the basic idea is an internally insulated lilo. Bees knees. Good enough to sleep on the snow (on Synmat 7), plenty of cushioning, compact fold up.
    https://www.snowys.com.au/exped

18. 99pc chimpanzee

Have been researching the expeds and the reviews here and in australia and overseas are astounding,havent stopped thinking about them so i bit the bullet and spent up.Heres what i came up with,
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exped-Megamat-10-Lxw-Unisex-Adventure-Gear-Sleep-Mat-Green-One-Size/311921596926?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=610735499214&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    Using the sellers discount and EBAYS current deal of 10p.c of everything over $75.00,i got the price down to $244.98/free postage from the UK.
    From what i see there were some good additions made in 2017,including a better carry bag and larger deflate valve and the olive colour was only introduced then so buying green you are guaranteeing the 2017 model......I hope.A bit more info and two informative videos
    http://www.exped.com/australia/en/product-category/mats/megamat-10-lxw-green
    I can lay it on my airbed for extra height:D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 1:25 AM
    barcher likes this.
  19. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Active Member

ExtremePie have been around a while as well, so a reputable seller in that respect.

Enjoy it - I'd use them as my main bed if they didn't squeak when held together with a queen fitted sheet...

20. 99pc chimpanzee

So many people have said that,its a great compliment and i look forward to sleeping on it in the lounge room on arrival.