Change background image

Adding a leaf.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cjbfisher, Jun 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM.

1. cjbfisher

cjbfisher New Member

I have a 2010 d/c BT50 with a badly sagged rear end. Realistically, I know that I need a set of 300kg constant load springs, but having just spent a grand that I didn't have on the front end, the finances don't allow it at the moment.
    I managed to pick up a complete standard suspension for free from a bloke who had put a lift kit through his, and was planning to just swap out the springs. Then I got to thinking about taking a leaf out of my packs, and adding it to the "new" springs.
    Is this feasible, and if so, what are some of the things I will need to look out for? I know that I'll probably need longer u-bolts and a longer locating pin. Which leaf should I add? The primary pack has 3 leaves, with 2 secondary leaves.
    Also, when putting everything together, what type of grease should I be using, and where does it go? Do I just grease the pin through the bushes, or should I also be greasing the bushes when inserting them in the spring? I'll be using the rubber bushes from the "new" suspension, as they are still in good condition.

2. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

I can't see a problem. I'd be adding a short leaf or even just a block, you may need a longer centre pin.
    The one that holds all the leafs together, one thing to look at is will a thicker/higher spring pack interfere
    with any handbrake mechanisms if there cable operated. Use rubber grease for the shackle pins.

3. cjbfisher

cjbfisher New Member

Thanks for the reply @dno67 . Interested to hear your thoughts on why you think a shorter leaf would be the way to go. I would have thought that the pack would load up from the top down, therefore you'd want to add a longer leaf to catch the weight before it gets down to the real load carrying leaves. This is all just speculation on my part, though. Interested to hear all opinions, and the theory behind them.
    With regards to the greasing, do I just grease the pins, or grease the bush/spring eye as well?

4. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Are the bushes two piece ? I've only used grease on bushes if they had to be press right through an eye.
    You want the pin to be lubed, you don't want the bush turning in the eye of the spring but it may need
    some lube if it needs to be pressed in.
    The long springs give you a softer ride when unloaded, shorter springs are what carry the weight
    when loaded, adding any leaf will have the added effect of raising the ride height by the thickness
    of the added leaf also. That's why I mentioned just adding a block, or another option may be longer
    spring hangers. Plenty of people in the past have made there own longer spring hangers.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017 at 9:00 AM
  5. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

If their sagged all the time then you need to get them reset first to bring it back up to standard height or slightly higher because they have flattened out a bit and also the spring hangers will be at a greater angle and not working to aid the spring as it should an often forgotten item that plays an important role in the set up. If you don't get them reset then the spring you add will be taking the majority of the weight by itself and also working hard to try and pull the sagged springs back into shape which it won't do successfully so technically it's working harder than it should be correct me if I'm wrong though. So if you don't want to have to do it all again in say a few months or less for example you're going to have to spend some cash or you'll be back to where you started.

Also the person who resets it for you will know the best spring or springs to add to support the load correctly.

6. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

His suggesting adding one of the old leafs too the new pack, as I read it.

7. cjbfisher

cjbfisher New Member

Correct.
    This is only a temporary fix until I can afford new springs.

8. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Yes he did if your replying to me I believe I mentioned that.

But without seeing the vehicle and knowing if it's constantly loaded or just needed for the occasional heavy load we can only speculate that adding 1 good leaf to a badly sagged spring pack would not help much if it has to do the work that several springs couldn't cope with before the were flattened out. If it has a problem supporting any additional weight maybe it could be reduced or relocated further forward if possible as a temporary measure till funds are available to fix it correctly. More info in the opening thread would have probably helped with a more accurate diagnosis all good though.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 1:58 PM