Change background image

A Decision I don't want to make...what locker

Discussion in 'Differentials' started by Poppa, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Poppa

Poppa Member

After more than 25 years of Land Rover ownership I have recently gone to the Darkside.

Sold the Defender after purchasing a Cruiser single cab trayback - my need for a trayback was the primary reason.

The Defender had traction control and Tru-Tracs fitted to front and rear - a marriage made in heaven. Set and forget - no hoses, no switches, no
    seals, just traction when it was needed.

Twice now I have got into situations which left me calling to the Gods for my Defender to be returned - lack of traction in the rear wheels when hauling the boat out.

So the decision to fit a locker. You want to know about lockers? I'm your man!!!! I have studied, read, asked, googled, drawn Tarot cards, coaxed the dog to put a paw on one of brochures laid out on the shed floor, the Cranky One has accused me having a chic on the net because I'm on the computer at all hours, I even wake during the night and google Diff Lockers!

My first and preferred option was a Detroit - the set and forget thing again. Info suggests, however, that a Detroit does have its own issues.
    Move onto the E-locker vs ARB - God help me here! That is a debate of Costello vs Keating magnitude!

Final determination in this regard - both are shit, both are great - the difference between the two is the silly codger fitting the unit. And the silly codger (in this case me) driving the vehicle. Info suggests if I don't give the unit a run every couple of weeks and expect to have it work after sitting idle for two years the thing is not going to work.

Didn't look at the other units available. Just too hard getting good info and reliable info.

Just when I thought I had made the final decision some bloody bloke on this site puts up a furphy, a real furphy. He says when fitting an ARB locker (and I am assuming it would be the same for the E-locker) extra wiring has to be done regarding the ABS Brakes.
    I need (probably more like - "would like" to know) what happens if the extra wiring isn't done.

Why the ARB locker. I like the fact that ARB stores are well spread over this great company and I have yet to have a bad experience with any of the stores. The local ARB are great blokes and more importantly they have always done the job right for me - and that is a big compliment seeing as how they were working on my Land Rovers and we all know mechanics have an implant fitted when they finish their apprenticeship. The Implant says: I must not like working on Land Rovers, I must not like working on Land Rovers, I must not like working on Land Rovers.
    Good blokes at Albury ARB.

So....it looks as though the ARB locker, with crap seals, air lines that go missing, hoses that don't hose, electrical demons and six other curses placed on it by gypsies travelling through the area, will be fitted in the near future.

Wish me luck and let's hope it pulls me and the boat out when required. I do know one certainty now - I won't be able to get me mates to drive the cruiser out while I sit in the boat after driving it onto the trailer - the useless buggers will find some way to stuff up the simple idea of flicking a switch to engage the locker! After 25 years of abuse and telling me to get a Cruiser they will be calling me names for selling the Defender!!

2. komaterpillar

komaterpillar Well-Known Member

If the only time you need a locker is on a slippery boat ramp why not just lock the hubs in and give it a bit of hi4 action?
    Or just sink the foot and put on a bit of a show in hi2

If you like the idea of auto lockers check out Yukon Grizzly aswell.

Poppa likes this.
  3. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Locking the hubs in as mentioned and it's a lot cheaper unless you regularly need it then it might be worth getting a true trac for the cruiser.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. Poppa

Poppa Member

Yeah, locking the hubs is a good idea. Probably didn't elaborate enough - pulling the boat through and out of a couple rough creek/river crossings and the inherent washed away banks , not much of a road or track to say the least so the hubs locked need a little a more than "locking'. My fault for not being a little more descriptive.
    But........I will admit, locking the hubs in is a new experience to me. And yes....... the first time I needed to, I didn't, and yes, I did swear and call the Cruiser the biggest heap of crap I had ever seen or driven until I realised the hubs were not locked in (It is a Workmate model).

5. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

Extra wiring for the ABS first I have heard that , I have eLockers no extra wiring . My last 4WD had Air Lockers wouldn't have them again.

6. komaterpillar

I think the extra wiring mentioned might be to turn off the traction control in some fourbies that utilise a steering angle sensor. The SAS is there so the ETC knows where the front wheels are pointing and how much difference in wheel speed it should see when turning a corner. Of course when fully locked it will not see any difference in wheel speed so will probably throw the shits if the front wheels are turned and it doesn't see the wheel speed difference it expects. I think the extra wiring might be to turn the ETC off when twin locked to avoid this. However all this is all a theory for me and i can not verify any of it and i think only applies to a few models.

My 2013 defender has ETC and a steering angle sensor so it can work out how much variance in wheel speed is tolerable before trying to correct it and so far i have not had an issue when twin locked with the front wheels at full lock.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 1:53 AM
  7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I wouldn't discount TJMs Prolocker either..

Good luck...

8. joekar

joekar Member

Take a look at the Uneek “Cap Locker”. It is a different approach although still air operated. The major benefit it has over the others is that it allows the vehicle to retain any LSD capability. Until you lock the diff of course.

I suppose that, having a Toyota, you are now quite used to not having a LSD anyway :)

Built in Australia, they seem like a good idea.

9. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Well first thing is why not get a Defender with a tray?

What issues does a Detroit have? I have had one in the rear for 9 years and you would not know it is there - less than half the price of anything else - for sure not for the front but in the back will be perfect.

10. Poppa

Poppa Member

The issue is I have been informed that a Detroit is not available for my model Cruiser. I agree with you - for the back it would be perfect.
    Why not get a Defender tray - because I have already purchased the Cruiser at a damn good price.

axle82 likes this.
  11. Poppa

Poppa Member

The Pro Lockers do get a good write up - I keep going back to the theory - who fits the locker makes the difference - I don't know or have any experience with the TJM blokes.

12. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

buy the time you choose there will be a few more on the market and then the research has to start again.:cool:
    its a turkey shoot choosing, just make sure its someone close buy, so if any problems occur your not that far from home during the mending process. nothing last forever or is perfect when new ! good luck Poppa.

Poppa likes this.
  13. Poppa

Poppa Member

Too right mate! Decision has been made and based on good experiences with the local yocals fitting the locker. Let's hope they do their job and do it well.
    It is a bloody minefield isn't it - probably even bigger than the fridge/tyres minefield!!
    But it is a good thing to get all the comments from blokes on this site - much appreciated. Good to hear good, honest advice.

itlldoo likes this.
  14. komaterpillar

So furthermore from this post I did a heap of driving on the weekend twin locked, aaaaannnnddd my traction control occasionally had a fit if i was giving it some curry with the front wheels turned.
    So I'm going to fit a 30amp changeover relay to the ABS ECU power supply, triggered by the power wires to the locker solenoids. So whenever a locker is activated the traction control/ABS is disabled. Should be relatively cheap and simple.

Mr Rum and Poppa like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Though TC should not kick in with lockers on as both wheels will be turning at the same speed.

16. komaterpillar

Read my previous post for an explanation why it will kick in. With the front wheels turned it doesnt want to see equal wheel speeds

17. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Yes I saw that but with front locker in both front wheels should turn at the same speeds irrespective of angle turned - but doesn't matter, if your TC kicked in there was definitely a reason for it and disabling ABS will not be an issue with diff locks in.

18. komaterpillar

Yeah i know with front diff locked both fronts will turn at the same speed, that is the problem. The steering angle sensor will tell the traction control which way the wheels are turned and at what angle. The traction control will then expect to see a DIFFERENCE in wheel speeds as you turn the corner. When locked it will not see this difference it expects so thinks the inside front wheel has lost traction and tries to correct it.
    All written in the first post

Mr Rum, phs, Albynsw and 1 other person like this.
  19. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Factory Tojo lockers automatically disables the ABS when lockers are engaged

phs and komaterpillar like this.
  20. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Diffhousing asaide can you put say an E locker into the factory locked 79s ?

I know we can't on our Kakadu its all integrated into its Magical 4wd system.
    I guess it's not too much of an issue unless you have repair Toyo $$$$$$$ factory unit

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM