Change background image

4x4 Tourism - the difference between Walhalla and Talbotville

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Patriot, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Patriot

Patriot Super Moderator

Hello,

Graeme Mathrick tagged me in on an awesome photo from the Victorian High Country Huts Association Facebook page. It is a picture of Talbotville from 1921. The thing that is striking for me is the resemblance to Walhalla. Walhalla is a beautiful town and I am wondering if anyone knows any of the local business owners in Walhalla. A lot of the businesses there are tourism based and I want to know how much of the tourism is 4WD based? I have been to the Wally Pub on many an occasion for a feed before the long drive home and the place has been full with 4 wheel drivers. Would it survive without us 4 wheel drivers? If the answer is no, then what would be the economic impact if tracks up that way closed? What would happen if more tracks were opened. Could regional councils support their local communities by opening tracks? Is 4x4 tourism a great way to give bush economies a hand up, not a hand out?

It would be a tragedy for my grand kids (don't have yet!) to go camping at the Walhalla campground and to read the sign that says "Here is the foundations of the Walhalla pub. The town was a mecca for 4 wheel drivers but as people stopped going offroad the town slowly died until it was deserted in 2035."
    Let's get more 4x4 tourism going!
    talbotville.jpg
    Talbotville 1921

walhalla.jpg
    Walhalla 2015

Attached Files:

2. mitschal02

mitschal02 5th Annual Victorian Gathering member

It is a great pic, looks so different now

3. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

That is a great pic,,that bridge, is that the southern entrance to talbotville, dont remember seeing any old remains of one ?

4. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I would have loved to have lived in Talbotville back then.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  5. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yeah, but you'd probably be deceased now mate, so maybe better to be here and now !! :D

BIGCOL and jacnden like this.
  6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Your not wrong Les, lol.. I would have probably died at the age of 18, infected appendix back then..

7. Patriot

Patriot Super Moderator

The cemetery at Alberfeldy has so many child graves. Health care has certainly come a long way.

Swaggie likes this.
  8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

All these towns in Vic are the same , built on the mining and timber industries in the mid to late 1880's and left to rot in the early 1900's .
    You can go to anyone , and see the history of how big it used to be , and see for yourself what is left , if anything .
    Grant for example . Woods Point is the same as Walhalla. Though not as trendy at the moment.
    I could go on all day listing names of towns that used to be big .
    That's progress I guess :(

9. cookie64

cookie64 4x4 Earth Contributer

I'm sure James would have loved that bridge back a couple of years ago too :rolleyes:

cheers

Swaggie and 80lover96gxl like this.
  10. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

He'd likely be still driving a jeep if it was still there:eek:o_O;)

11. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Yeah I reckon it is mate, McMillan's would be the top right of pic..

80lover96gxl likes this.
  12. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Yeah you can make it out turning to the left and heading up the hill.

Swaggie likes this.