Change background image

400RWKW XR6 Turbo Engine Conversion GU PATROL -Georgie's Twin Locked GU Patrol

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Georgie Kyro, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Georgie Kyro

Georgie Kyro Well-Known Member

2. Georgie Kyro

So bit of an update on the rig... any of you recognise what the above picture is??? Sorry I just realised it sent twice...

If any of you know the barra turbo, the oil sump gears are a weak link... so we are opening up the motor and adding these in to ensure it's longevity.

I also went town to the transmission builder and found out that the tranny will be built within 2 weeks.
    He is also providing me with full photos of the process so that I can post and show you guys...
    We have also recently looked at the torque converter and have figured out that set up and how it will be customised to suit including the input shaft.

Things are finally starting to take shape here...

I have plans for the rig to be done by Australia day weekend for my robe beechport trip with the lads.

I have also just entered my first 4wd nav challenge scheduled in may 2018 at Mt cole

By this stage the barra turbo will not only be in the rig for quite some time but hoping to of had any gremlins ironed out and learnt how to drive the thing...
    Then after this it is on to the alpine pursuit later on in the year.
    Can't wait

3. Georgie Kyro

4. Georgie Kyro

Anyone else going to Be competing in this?

5. TUFF IFS LUX

TUFF IFS LUX Active Member

Nice read/buildup George. looking forward to the end result and the comp when you enter. Ive always toyed with the idea of entering a nav comp, even with my old hilux, but I am not that good on navigating nor do I have any of the fancy GPS tech goodies to support it. Still something I may consider one day i this one. I do miss Mt Cole...went there years ago and was a good experience with some great tracks.

keep the build reports coming.:cool:

Georgie Kyro likes this.
  6. Georgie Kyro

Thank you Max!

7. Georgie Kyro

Hi Earthlings...
    So bit more of an update on the rig as it's been a while since I've posted here...

So not long ago I dropped off the tranny for the full rebuild...

The tranny itself is the re4 which is going to be fully rebuilt and strengthened, and will also be a fully manualised auto with a bm stealth pro ratchet shifter.

I'm a little bit in 2 minds of doing the stealth pro ratchet shifter now as after speaking to Mark Johnson from JPC, he made some fair points about it.

They are bloody unreal in drag/race format but can be a real Pain in the ar*e out bush or even in race comps...
    Trying to negotiate yourself through a section of track where you'd have to quickly slap it into reverse or even back down to first and then made into reverse again etc can be time consuming and a lot of munching around having to go through the entire gears.

As it stands currently I am still going it as it's just a weekender but if I come up with another option that's not the standard auto shifter I will consider it...

So we dropped off the auto to GSM Automotive for Goran to do the whole build...
    This guy is probably one of the most underrated and unheard of tranny builders in the country as he is normally the man behind the scenes of many good tune/drag shops that builds trannys for them, ships the trannys back off to the tune shops, pulls decent drag times which then gives the tune shop big kudos cos the vehicle has "said tune shops" graphics and decal on the vehicle...

Nonetheless he has been building 4wd trannys for many years now and same goes for the drag race industry...

The auto he is basing mine on is to same spec as one he recently sent to sydney which ive mentioned before thats concistently pulling 9.90s down the quarter in an xr6 turbo (yes they use nissan re4 autos in xr6's too) as they are a finominal piece of equipment...

So needless to say I know that I am definitely getting what I paid for...

So the tranny has been completely torn apart which you will be able to see in the below photos I'm adding and he has strengthened/modified the entire thing to suit the hp application and the off road racing/weekend warrior rock crawling I endeavour to put the rig through.
    I don't really know too much about what's what to be honest with you but he did go through explaining a bit of it too me in which I have tried to remember but hope you guys understand what the go is when you look at them.

Anyway. I hope you have all been well and I look forward to keeping you all informed of where we are at very soon...

This build is now starting to gain momentum and I look forward to getting the auto done complete with torque converter/bell housing and tranny all in 1 piece very soon.

89gqpatrol4x4 and abw like this.
  8. Georgie Kyro

9. Georgie Kyro

10. Georgie Kyro

11. Georgie Kyro

12. Georgie Kyro

13. Georgie Kyro

14. Georgie Kyro

15. Georgie Kyro

16. Georgie Kyro

17. Georgie Kyro

18. Georgie Kyro

19. Georgie Kyro

20. komaterpillar

komaterpillar Well-Known Member

Can you change the valve body to reverse pattern so that 1st and reverse are side by side? Quite common in powerglides, TH400, C4 AND C6

Georgie Kyro likes this.