Change background image

4 X 4 Earth SA Gathering 2018 ?

Discussion in 'South Australia' started by Alby123, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mills63

mills63 Active Member

Flinders adventure park? www.flinders-park.com.au
    Like the sound of this one pretty close as well.
    Well from my end of town ha ha.

Spooner and 80lover96gxl like this.
  2. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Besides, the NSW Crew do there tracks on the way there & back to the Annuals.:cool::D

3. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

No fascilities for those that require them unfortunately mate, and difficult for van access.

4. mills63

mills63 Active Member

That's to bad next spot ???!!!!

80lover96gxl likes this.
  5. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

At this stage its a two horse race between bendleby and Mt ive.
    Waiting to hear back from chatty with his findings.

PradoDave and 4Tunner like this.
  6. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay - my employer expects me to work for the company on occasion - very rude I say! Putting together Brian's findings (Bendleby & Mt Ive) and mine (Beltana, Merna Mora and Arkaba) the results are...
    A note first, though, I have based the "total" pricing on four nights (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - leave Tuesday) for a couple and tracks as indicated. Yes, I know some people have kids - I will be trying to get a price for tackers to be free.

Arkaba Station is all about "experiences" now - prices start at around $900 per person :eek: for a couple of nights and climb upwards from there - so I didn't bother pursuing that...

Bendleby quoted:
    Camping $22 per person per night (adult)
    Powered sites $27 per person per night (adult)
    Children $5 per night (school age to 15)
    Tracks are $80 per vehicle
    Total cost = $256

Mt Ive quoted:
    Camping $10 per person per night (adult)
    Powered sites $14 per person per night (adult)
    Children $5 per night (school age to 15)
    Tracks are free (but there aren't any real "tracks" from what I know)
    Total cost
    Waiting to check availability due to speed week on Lake Gardiner

Beltana Station quoted:
    Camping $10 per person per night with access to hot showers, toilets, camp kitchen, etc
    Powered sites $25 per night for two people
    Hard accommodation is available starting at $90 per night
    Tracks are $25 each per vehicle or all three tracks for $60
    Total cost = $140
    No mention of further discounting, but I haven't started to work on them yet :D

Merna Mora quoted:
    Camping $20 per night for two people with access to hot showers, toilet, camp kitchen, etc
    Tracks are $45 each per vehicle, with a discount for all four
    Total cost = $180
    Merna Mora did say they will look at discounting for a group, but they have to get back to me on that - as a price point I would be aiming at less than $20 per night for camping and less than $100 for three tracks as I don't know we would have time to do four

Rough (Google Maps) times from Adelaide:
    Bendleby - 4 hrs 25 mins
    Mt Ive - 9 hrs 10 mins
    Merna Mora - 5 hrs 5 mins
    Beltana - 5 hrs 50 mins

Personally I am leaning toward Merna Mora as the tracks look great, they are not much further from Adelaide than Bendleby and the prices are not heart stopping

Comments anyone?

7. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Last time we were at meena morna the bush camping had facilities (single porta cabin with hot shower and toilet) not sure how it would cope with numbers, may be worth questionning them on it (although it was a couple of years back i was there)....track out to lake torrens is a nice easy drive though

8. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Merna Mora was pretty basic, dusty and dry when we drove one of their tracks about 18months back.
    We drove "Bunbinyunna Track" for being one of their "harder" tracks it was very easy - just scenic.

I reckon google maps has done a "dirt road" time for Mt Ive as its only 4hrs 20min to Iron knob and its not more than an hours drive from there from memory.

Bendleby is quite a bit dearer than the rest and id guess everyone has been their at least once but there is a lot to drive

Chatty likes this.
  9. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Would it be silly to suggest Wrights Bay again for this year ?

10. mills63

mills63 Active Member

Yes that was nice

billolga and mac_man_luke like this.
  11. billolga

@Chatty, Grumpy,Robz, Bek & I went to Mt Ives in 2012.
    The facilities are good with a Donkey Hot water system, a good camp Kitchen with quit a few tables.
    There was a drive to the top of Mt Ive (Not that hard) & we had access to Lake Gairdner where World Speed runs were made, however it was full of water when we were there.
    It was good for a stay, but I wouldn't drive all the way from NSW to visit it.
    For "Mates Rates" I would drive to Cape Jaffa Caravan Park & spend some time.:cool::D (@Grumpy )

rogerazz likes this.
  12. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

What about Saunders gorge, or Eagles view as it is now... Bit of a track and a guy who seems to be after the publicity a bit

13. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Have stayed at beltana before and driven their tracks. The drive to the top of Mt Disappointment was good, not overly difficult but stunning views.
    The drive out to lake torrens was leisurely, also with great views.

The accom was fairly good and camping was nice.

Been about 9 yrs since was there and have heard they've made improvements since my visit.

This one gets my vote.

mac_man_luke likes this.
  14. mills63

mills63 Active Member

This is a nice spot and not to far we no the owners so could probably do some wheeling and dealing on price.

15. mac_man_luke

Probably not enough to do for a LWE though?

mills63 likes this.
  16. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Reading into the above - it's looking like a two horse race between Mt Ive and Beltana. Some other comments:

I like Saunders Gorge, but the 4WDing is essentially a single track which takes about 6 hours. If people are happy to do runs that are just scenic (rather than serious 4WD) there are quite a few touristy places to visit.
    Rather than Wrights, we would use @Grumpy 's place in Robe - about 30km north. I'm always up for some beach time, but others may not be.
    Merna Mora were very "vague" on the phone - I suspect it's not a professional operation.

For something out of left field - any thoughts on Eldee Station out from Broken Hill? The Hill is on SA time, so I'm happy to claim it as part of SA for the purposes of the gathering :rolleyes:o_O
    https://www.eldeestation.com/self-drive.html

17. mac_man_luke

Certainly one iv been interested in visiting and its not too far

18. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

No fires is a worry, otherwise I'm keen .
    What dates roughly Dave ?

19. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

It only says that fires are allowed in cooler months when there are no fire bans.?????
    Sounds like a good place but I remember how hot Bendelby was and Eldee could be hotter. Just a thought.

20. billolga

That's the problem with March, it's usually HOT!
    I have been to all the SA gatherings except this year (I was all packed & ready to go & find out we have a medical appointment change).
    Looking back on it they have all been Hot weather.

Bomber2012 likes this.