Change background image

3.0ltr GU Patrol, any good?

Discussion in 'GU Patrol' started by Elias Perris, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Elias Perris

Elias Perris New Member

Hey everyone, so im still after a first car. My budget is about $7000 and under. I was considering buying a chopped 60 series ute i found, with a 2H diesel and 5 sped. But someone put me onto a 3ltr gu wagon. I've never really been a Nissan fan, to be honest, but this looks like a decent car, I was just wondering about the reliability with the 3ltr ZD30 motors? I am a first-year mechanic but haven't seen much of the ZD30's, besides basic servicing. I'd like to hear about these vehicles and whether or not it'd be worth it? Would a 4.2 engine swap be possible in the future?

2. Beever

Beever Member

Ha there
    A couple of things ,the mechanics your working with should have some idea.
    A farmer I know has an older 3 ltr gu wagon. He got it new, always serviced, quite a few klm on it now ,and has never had a problem.
    The other thing. They have a nick name down here. They call them grenades
    Cheers

Elias Perris likes this.
  3. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Google ZD30 reliability. They don't have a good reputation.

However, there are a LOT of people who own them, and are very happy with them, and also who have had no issues. The pre 04 model ones were the most troublesome.

These motors are fairly small for the size and weight of the vehicle they push around, and excessive exhaust gas temperatures are a regular occurrence if they are pushed hard and the owners aren't aware of it. This puts huge stress on the motors. I believe if you monitor the EGT's, drive them accordingly and watch the boost your chances of something going wrong are much lower.

I know a couple of owners who'd happily buy one again, and lets be honest, they are a brilliant vehicle asides from the potential engine issues

Aaron

4. Elias Perris

Elias Perris New Member

Yeah i am aware that they are a small motor for such a big wagon. I mean i guess a 4.2 swap could be possible?.... When it comes time to do so of course. I really was after a 60 series but i am struggling to find a rust free one where i live.

Cheers mate, good read. I have heard of the grenade term before!! :D

5. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Yep, it is, as long as it isn't older than 2006 I believe? You can't put the 4.2 into anything newer than when the last 4.2's came out in the GU. A lot of people do it (prior to 2006)

Aaron

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM
  6. Elias Perris

Elias Perris New Member

Yeah i beleive it is an older vehicle, not sure on the year yet.