Change background image

2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Test Drive

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Patriot, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Patriot

Patriot Super Moderator

So we were lucky enough to pick up one of these bad boys for the week to take for a test drive. For all of the details, listen to the 4x4earth Podcast of the Test drive, but I wanted to include some photos so people can see what we got up to. From the outside, it is a pretty sleek looking vehicle.

DSC05592.JPG

DSC05593.JPG Will couldn't wait to get the manual out and have a look at all of the features. The Android Auto app was a huge success. Voice recognition was nearly flawless, maps up to date, real time traffic info. A killer app for cars. We all loved it - and a sense of humour to boot!

DSC05649.JPG
    Very comfortable to drive.

DSC05656.JPG A 4WD is safe on the road, but that's not what 4 wheel drives are made for. Been a while since we've been the Bunyip - what more excuse do we need than a new car to test out there.

DSC05657.JPG Slowly getting some mud on it!

DSC05667.JPG
    This was the start of the track we took. Pretty steep but I was impressed with the auto and the high range control. Hill Start Assist worked really well as we stopped to take photos. For a vehicle with roady tyres and no lift, it did really well.

DSC05672.JPG
    Yeah, probably not going to try this. Very steep and rutted. If it was higher with better tyres and I didn't have to hand it back the next day, I would have definitely given this a crack.

DSC05674.JPG
    Turning around is a lot easier when you've got a big reversing camera like this :)
    DSC05681.JPG
    Heading down the hill, very easy driving on some pretty slippery surfaces.
    DSC05695.JPG
    Nice comfortable drive home.
    DSC05742.JPG
    It's great to have helpers to clean the car!
    On the whole a great family car for people wanting the freedom to access some tracks and camping grounds that you can't get into in a 2WD. Lots of creature comforts and advanced features too.

Attached Files:

eman, ian.c, Aaron Schubert and 3 others like this.
  2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

noticed no photos from the rear :p

Albynsw and underdog like this.
  3. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

He's just easing us all in with the front pics first !!! :D

4. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

In all seriousness now, this vehicle is like 95% of 4wds on the market now, with decent AT tyres it will get you 95% of places no probs, and this will suit 95% of people driving a 4wd.
    (All % stats as an example.)

For the rest they will soon have the choice of these or a 79 series the way things are going.

underdog likes this.
  5. mitschal02

mitschal02 5th Annual Victorian Gathering member

As many will know we own a 2002 Challenger and we have looked at one of these as a possible replacement and have to say even though there is 14 odd years between the two the similarities between the two is very uncanny.
    Rear cargo placement is still very similar, Bash plates, rear suspension etc all the same.

Its still a body on ladder chassis design with solid rear axle and IFS upfront but does have a diff lock now.
    I reckon with a 2inch lift decent A/T's - M/T's, bullbar, snorkel (bullbar & snorkel are factory options) i cant really think of anywhere it wouldn't get you.

6. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I just drove one of these and thought it was very impressive. Way better than the Challenger, better ride, seats.....well basically better everything except a bit fugly from the rear. I will probably end up buying one when my Gaylander packs it in.

abw likes this.
  7. Wotscookin

Wotscookin New Member

Great photos with comments. I took one for a test drive and it felt very jerky (don't think it was my driving...haha). The salesman said that because it's a demo the car hasn't been able to adjust to a certain driving style and once it's driven for 500km by the same person the jerking will stop. Would appreciate any thoughts from Pajero Sports owners or anyone with a some thoughts. Cheers,

8. mikehzz

I don't usually dislike many things, I either like them or I don't have an opinion. But.......I was driving along the other night behind a Pajero Sport and I was mesmerised by how ridiculous I thought the tail lights were. I was pulling faces, which led me to the conclusion I mustn't have liked them. Is this what it's like for girls their entire life? I like this car, but can I buy one of these and drive around knowing that my arse is mesmerising others in a bad way?

9. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Mike the first one I saw from behind in traffic was a similar experience
    I thought it was one of those Chinese brands like Foton or something and then saw the Mitsi badge when I got closer
    The rest of the car looks ok but those tail lights would make my Nanna say "dear oh dear!":eek:

tankbloke and mikehzz like this.
  10. mikehzz

Mate, it was like doing an ink blot test....what do you see when you look at them? I saw a clitorus, well two of them, one on each side. Does that make me a bad person? :)

Albynsw likes this.
  11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Alice Cooper would be proud of it ;)
    Acinside.jpg

Albynsw and tankbloke like this.