Change background image

2010 MN Triton front end issue

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Oldbugger, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Oldbugger

Oldbugger New Member

Help am looking for advice. Had my triton lifted 2inch Front and Rear shocks and springs some time ago and now had a clunking noise in the front end, not all the time tough. Have had it back to the shop for a follow up and they say that they can't find any problem. Noise is still there.
    I live in the Newcastle area and getting very frustated with it... Should I have included something eles when I had it raised?

2. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Did they take it for a run to try and replicate the noise ?
    Does it make the clunk at a particular time, like turning and hitting a bump, etc, or is it just happening very occasionally and you can't 'make' it happen ?

2" lifts are usually ok with everything in the kit supplied, if keep within parameters.
    If this work has been done on a moderate KM vehicle, say 50 - 75k on the clonk, it maybe a worn CV or other suspension / steering component is making a noise under certain conditions, very hard to track down sometimes.

3. Les PK Ranger

Oi, and 54 isn't an old bugger, ok ??? !!! :D

4. Les PK Ranger

And welcome to Earth too, your first post, go say g'day on the introduction section maybe.

5. Oldbugger

Oldbugger New Member

Haha
    The nosie is hard to replicate when needed. The vehicle has 120k on it and had the lift done around 65k and a set of shocks replaced about 3 weeks ago. It did have a noise in the front end prior to the old shocks letting go, noise disappeared and now with the new ones the noise has returned. I think that everything back to where it was previously is loading it up somewhere. The 4x4 crew who replaced the shocks weren't real keen on steering issues. I think it will be off to another business to assist in this problem

6. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Did you have a diff drop kit fitted ?
    My bro in law rasied his colerado 2" and had a strange clunk develop straight after it was raised, had the drop kit fitted and the clunk disappeared.
    Not sure what the initial clunk was caused by but the drop kit fixed it, maybe something to consider ?

7. Les PK Ranger

Maybe the shocks are wrong length, and bottoming out, or topping out ?
    Has the noise only been there again immediately after those were fitted ?
    If so, it is probably where to look first, a good start would be check if all shock mounts are done up properly to correct tension.

8. Oldbugger

Oldbugger New Member

I am hoping they got it right TJM 4x4 fitted them

9. Triton14

Triton14 Member

Take it back & then take them for a drive so they can here the noise maybe!

10. Georgie Kyro

Georgie Kyro Active Member

Hi mate
    Can you advise if this noise happens in the following situations so i can attempt to help.
    I had a pretty off its head one myself.

A: in 4wd or 2wd
    B: high speeds cruising or low speeds over speed humps or bumps, or when turning
    I would start with checking out if any of the bushes are flogged on the shocks.

Your other thing to check is the tightness of the bolts on the shock and also more importantly in your lower and uppper control arms.

Lets start with that first and see how you go

Mani240v likes this.
  11. underdog

underdog Well-Known Member

Georgie Kyro has the right idea.
    Most clunka tend to come from loose bolts of some kind. So I'd be checking:
    - swaybar link bolts/bushes
    - upper/lower control arm bolts/bushes
    - upper/lower strut bolts/bushes
    - coil positioning on strut (and any marks indicating wear/contact of some kind)

Being able to recreate the noise on demand is a huge help when trying to find the source of a noise/problem, so if you can do that it will help you showcase the issue to whatever workshop you take it to.

Georgie Kyro and Mani240v like this.
  12. Mani240v

Mani240v Member

Georgie Kyro is always spot on when it comes to Triton's ;)

Georgie Kyro and underdog like this.
  13. Oldbugger

Oldbugger New Member

Sorry for not getting back to you.
    GLXR duel cab 4x4 Diesel
    Have had all the steering and suspension rechecked and nothing loose. The crazy thing is that the noise didn't happen on that particular day, It's like going to the dentist and just before you go in, it feels better.
    OK If I leave the car sit for a day or so then go to back out, the drive way gradient it up hill. As soon as it starts up the drive way that is where it first starts. Also in forward motion for a while. If I have the boat on the back and go around a round about there is some serious clunking going on.

14. Georgie Kyro

Good to hear you've checked the suspension, I'm assuming by your response you're meaning all the bolts are tight?

Did you perhaps know the condition of all the bushes in the suspension and upper and lower arms?
    Even though the bolts may be tight if the bushes are flogged can generally cause this..
    I'm assuming it in 2wd when you're also noticing so at the moment im ruling out diff or cv related and sticking to bushes

Let us know how you go

15. Oldbugger

Oldbugger New Member

Yes 2wd..
    Ok will investigate a bit further and get back to you

Cheers

16. Oldbugger

Oldbugger New Member

Quick one do you need special tools for this job. To do a bushing change over. Also what brand would you recommend

17. Georgie Kyro

Just dependant on what suspension you're using, they may have different eyelet bushes depending on what brand suspension you have (not sure)
    As for upper and lower arms just go factory