Change background image

1982 Quintrex CC

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Silveredition, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

G'day mate,
    I have done huge miles in it - but mostly around Karratha / Dampier where there are islands for protection... In Exmouth we go down th bottom of the gulf, and across to the 'other side' of the gulf, and have done plenty of miles outside Ningaloo reef.... I only enjoy boating in good weather, but have battled home a few times!! The thing to remember is being a centre console, any water coming over the bow ends up in the boat (no screen to deflect it...)
    Most of my time is spent spearfishing, and one thing I love about the boat is the low sides for ease of getting in - especially with a big snake chasing you (I hate them!!)!!
    For a budget boat, that you will love, I think they are hard to beat!!

Poppa and muc the truck like this.
  2. Poppa

Poppa Member

Cam04 nailed it I reckon when he said it was a Fishfinder - although you would think Quintrex would be able to answer that question. But if you have any doubts, you might try Leigh Martin Marine in Wodonga = he sold Quintrex boats to Noah for lifeboats on the Ark.

Silveredition likes this.
  3. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Thanks cam04 - I missed your post re the model - looks to be spot on - Fishfinder... the name seems to suit!!

4. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Speaking of Lifeboats - there might be a surprise in the rebuild....

5. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Well, not a lot has happened over the past few weeks... The boat is currently in Perth getting the crack along the keel welded (was a bit worse than I wanted to believe it was...), as well as a couple of other small welding jobs done... hopefully I will pick it up this weekend... While that has been happening, I have been carrying out some fibreglassing on the centre console to: 1) strengthen the bottom lip where it is screwed to the boat floor. 2) provide strength to the walls from the inside, and 3) incorporate screw-points to attach ply to the inside to mount my wiring / fuse block / main switch etc...
    I have also started cutting black acrylic panels to hide where previous sounder / gps etc holes were cut.....
    Should be some noticeable change over the next couple of weeks, as the pressure is on because we are 99% sure that we are heading over to Dirk Harthog Island after Christmas - taking the 60 Series and trailer on the barge, and driving the boat across...

6. Poppa

Poppa Member

Sounds good - shame about the keel needing more than expected, but - better now than the time when it becomes beyond repair!
    Dirk Hartog - well, that sits about No.3 on my Bucket List. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip and how the Quinnie goes.

7. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Yeah - I think Devcon has done a good job of hiding it over the years!! Deep down I think I knew it was time to get it sorted - so off to one of the world leaders in Oceanographic fabrications (I can’t let just anyone weld this up...)!
    What is the number 1 and 2 on your list??
    The trip isn’t 100% yet - if the boat was sorted it would be, but time is running out!

8. Poppa

Poppa Member

Mate, I don't know you but hell, I'm proud of you. You are showing a damn lot of respect for a Classic but also for something that "belongs" in your family - and that is important.
    First and second on my bucket list?
    1: Renew my Wedding Vows with the Cranky One in an Indigenous Ceremony somewhere in the Kimberly or Top End - next year we have been married for 40 years - we knew each for 2 weeks when we decided to get married.
    2: Hold the landing net for one of my grandchildren when he/she pulls in a Barra!
    Not the stuff that Hollywood would make a movie about - but who cares.
    Thanks for asking - I appreciate that - nobody has ever asked me that.
    You are over Geraldton way - I'm probably going to ask you if it is OK to take a look at that boat one day. Got a Son and his family living in Geraldton.

9. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Thanks mate!!
    Norlangie Rock , Sandy Creek Falls or Mitchell plateau would be 3 pretty amazing options for Number 1 on your list!!

Number 2 would be made even better to find a $10000 tag or the 1Mil tag in the Barra in the NT!!

We live a fair bit south of Gero (We are just north of Bunbury) - but you are most welcome to check out the boat if over this way!

10. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Finally - there has been a bit of action...! The crack has been welded, and a frame welded in for a storage hatch. Then, today I primed the inside and console with Wattyl Epienamel PR250... I was hoping to get the POLY U400 topcoat on today too (as it was about 36 degrees), but a million flying ants appeared a I decided to wait (and I was over it!)... D7CC0B8F-27C5-4D43-B371-70857E69FDD2.jpeg 00AA5E6F-1A86-4968-9DA9-D096432FA9C9.jpeg

Mr Rum likes this.
  11. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Top coated, and starting to put things back in...
    AA337B92-EB4C-4C3D-A27A-C1D6F1D31E6E.jpeg

Triton14, Albynsw and Mr Rum like this.
  12. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

Silver, that is looking awesome mate!

I know where you are coming from on this refit.

I am currently fishing out of my fathers 1969 13.9ft Quintrex sportman which I started fishing out of as an 8 year old.

The only mods I have done is put in 2 decks between the seats & a new 25hp mercury.

I really want to do a respray & fit some lights to is etc which I will do eventually.

Love your work :D

13. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

My mate has the same boat that he rubbed back and resprayed to original colours and decals
    Looks mint

Triton14 likes this.
  14. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

I have bought the decals in preparation for the respray.

There is actually a few refits I have seen on the net that look pretty cool so am going to base mine on them.

I don't care how long it takes, its going to happen ;)

I will be passing it down to the nephew or niece as I don't have any kids so it lives on :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    Albynsw likes this.
  15. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Gday guys, thanks for the comments! I managed to get a few hrs in today working on starting to put things back together (after I had a quick free dive off the shore to get a cray for tea). I have now run most of the under-floor wiring all double, triple and quad insulated (where I think there might be a chance of rubbing through on a sharp edge),!wired in a removable anchor (all round white) led light and done a fair bit on the console and switch - fuse panel to go in the console.... here are a few pics
    91F52778-19F2-4583-A9FF-524D1E9C248C.jpeg AF6BF7DA-EC40-423A-8117-6866C9AAFCBB.jpeg C757F9B1-9152-4E3D-96BE-39EB18E29143.jpeg CD936ABF-D56E-4917-A336-9A6549C5178D.jpeg

16. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Floor storage hatches / bilge access etc being cut....
    EED4D99F-4C5F-4DE6-AEBA-B0B28A70FA4C.jpeg

Triton14 and Mr Rum like this.
  17. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

Hey Silver, I have a question.

What is a good marine paint & where do you get them.

I did some research but drew a blank.

If you have a supplier or info it would be appreciated ;)

18. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Gday mate,
    I used wattyl Epienamel PR250 2 pack Primer, and Wattyl PolyU400 2pack top coat (went halves with my Dad as he was painting under the floor of his tinny at the same time... Apparently Preston Craft use this to paint their boats (I could be wrong on this).
    Dad bought the paint from Peel Paint Supplies. I phoned around to check prices, but no-one that I called around Bunbury had even heard of the product....
    I used it on bare alloy, previously painted alloy and fibreglass. It seems to have adheared amazingly well due to my boredom with paint prep.....
    Hope this helps...

Triton14 likes this.
  19. Silveredition

Silveredition Member

Today’s progress...
    C51CEAA2-C985-46AB-9B0E-BE527CF8A692.jpeg 68F1F1E5-3D5F-4DB1-A88D-7BD3BF95CE7D.jpeg

dno67, Triton14 and Albynsw like this.
  20. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

Thank you for the info Silver :cool:

Im glad to hear you used in on previously painted alloy as when I get around to doing my tinny I done really want to have to take in back to bare metal if I don't have to.
    Id just like to sand in all back to smooth then fix any issues & paint it.