Innamincka

Rags90mod

Going to head up to Innamincka with my dog on Sunday to meet up with my Dad and a couple of mates to do a bit a yabby hunting, etc. Will be the first time I've been able to get away on such a trip with the old man for about 17 years!! If my mum weren't crook as a dog I'd be heading down to Cape Jaffa to see them, and do the Robe to Beachport run instead.

Anyone got any good advice for the Strz track, any good yabbying spots and spots to see around Innamincka?

Cheers

Rags

Rags90mod

Id do the old strez instead of the new strez as its a much nicer but slower drive.
Just watch the weather or you can get stuck with closed roads etc

Perfect time of year to be doing an outback trip like that!

Just looking at Hema Explorer app now. The old strzelecki starts at Merty Merty and bypasses Moomba yeah?

Weather is looking pretty sweet at the moment, just chilly at night. Living in Roxby I'm already accustomed to it anyway ;)

To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. Would have been great to bring the missus and step daughter along, but the better half isn't too keen on camping in possible -°C overnight temperatures haha

Albynsw

I have caught plenty at the weir just walking in the water with a scoop net but have also caught none on lots of other times I have been there.
It is a nice spot out where Burke died as well , can't remember the name of the waterhole but worth a poke around

Will be heading there in Sept myself

Last edited:

Ziggy

Yeah. Cullyamurra waterhole. Some nice campsites there.
Entry and camping permits you can still get from the Trading Post. Take firewood in with you.

Rags90mod

I have caught plenty at the weir just walking in the water with a scoop net but have also caught none on lots of other times I have been there.
It is a nice spot out where Burke died as well , can't remember the name of the waterhole but worth a poke around

Will be heading there in Sept myself

Cheers Albynsw, will give it a crack for sure. My Dad said he was told that the yabbies are meant to be running hot up there atm, but we're both a bit unsure about it seeing as the water would be cold. Hoping we're wrong though.
20170706_072546.jpeg
Here's a few nice one's they got a day or 2 ago somewhere in Qld.

Yeah I'm hoping to check that out, maybe the dig tree too.

Yeah. Cullyamurra waterhole. Some nice campsites there.
Entry and camping permits you can still get from the Trading Post. Take firewood in with you.

Cool cheers Ziggy. In that case I might have to see if I can get some wood here in town before I leave

Albynsw

Cheers Albynsw, will give it a crack for sure. My Dad said he was told that the yabbies are meant to be running hot up there atm, but we're both a bit unsure about it seeing as the water would be cold. Hoping we're wrong though.
View attachment 48200
Here's a few nice one's they got a day or 2 ago somewhere in Qld.

Yeah I'm hoping to check that out, maybe the dig tree too.

Cool cheers Ziggy. In that case I might have to see if I can get some wood here in town before I leave

These were the ones we got at the weir, got a bucket full and ate them that night :)
IMG_1406.JPG

The water isn't cold either

Big-Trev

Going to head up to Innamincka with my dog on Sunday to meet up with my Dad and a couple of mates to do a bit a yabby hunting, etc. Will be the first time I've been able to get away on such a trip with the old man for about 17 years!! If my mum weren't crook as a dog I'd be heading down to Cape Jaffa to see them, and do the Robe to Beachport run instead.

Anyone got any good advice for the Strz track, any good yabbying spots and spots to see around Innamincka?

Cheers

Rags
He Rags,

Might be a bit cold at the Pub as I delivered there gas to the incorrect courier site the other day.The manager called to see where there gas was as they were running out.Might be able to sell them some 9 kg cylinder to keep the heaters on.

Rags90mod

What's the track condition generally like compared to the Oodnadatta Track?
Well the first half of the Strzelecki track was ok, plenty of loose rocks and gravel but not that many corrugated sections. 2nd half was really good! A few dusty sections, but generally really good. I did turn off at Merty Merty and then down the Old Strzelecki the rest of the way to Innamincka, bypassing Moomba. That was still pretty good, only a few corrugated bits. My suspension set up makes most of the corrugations pretty comfy anyway. Between Tibooburra and Cameron Corner were the worst currugations and I found myself catching up to every other car along those sections - maybe I'm just a hoon ;):D:cool:

This is the tracks that I took while I was away. Hema explorer app kept cutting out though, rather annoying
Screenshot_20170714-100056.png

He Rags,

Might be a bit cold at the Pub as I delivered there gas to the incorrect courier site the other day.The manager called to see where there gas was as they were running out.Might be able to sell them some 9 kg cylinder to keep the heaters on.

Was a bit chilly Big-Trev, nothing too extreme. A camp fire, beanie and jacket had us sorted :)

Ziggy

Roads the miners use are normally well maintained.
Up that way you can stumble on a 3 lane dirt highway which isn't even on the map.

Rags90mod

Roads the miners use are normally well maintained.
Up that way you can stumble on a 3 lane dirt highway which isn't even on the map.
Very true. That's why the first 10 km or so of the Borefield Rd from Olympic Dam to the Oodnadatta Track is well maintained - it's a part of BHP's mining lease

80lover96gxl

We came across 3 double trailer road trains on the ol strez at easter. They were moving a mining camp in the area.

Easily spotted from their dust but just be mindful that they can be anywhere around that area at any time.

Ziggy

Yeah. I did Walkers Crossing for the first time last month. There was a decent stretch that was immaculate - had just been done for the removal of a rig.